Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Gerfy Revisted

Big News: It has been proven "gerfy" (also possibly spelled gurfy, gerfee or gurfee) is a PA or possibly just Pittsburgh word. Speaking with a girl in my class from Pittsburgh she said they are weird because they make up words. I questioned her re the above word and she knew it and was quite surprised it is not in the dictionary.

For those not familiar with the word it means not petite and is possibly along the lines of "lummox or oaf like" It is most often used in my family in regards to the dogs, such as when Pie sits on your lap- "Pie, you are too gerfy to sit on my lap." Surprisingly, I tried all the spellings and could not find it in the Urban Dictionary either.

If anyone wants to leave their own definition of the word in the comments, or your preffered spelling, I would be happy to know.

My original post on the subject is here. Gerfy? And I used it in a separate post to describe Pie after she bumped Blossom and hurt his ACL.

In other news today we had a tornado touch down within 5 miles so we all went to the middle of the building to shelter in place. I seem to remember tornado warnings being much scarier when I lived in Illinois. Of course, I was in kindergarten at the time so that might have had something to do with it. I remember taking our swimming towels to the basement and setting them on the concrete floor to provide some comfort. Or perhaps to make it more exciting for us kids. I wonder why we didn't keep folding chairs down there. If we had, I'm sure the children wouldn't have gotten to use them, because that was how our family rolled back then. (Kids now days have it so easy!)

No comments: