Friday, March 18, 2011

Running with Hammers

Actually it is two different stories.

First, ffluffy shared a Dottie story: ffluffy was hanging a picture and Dottie was supervising. She put the hammer down to put up the picture, then reached back for the hammer to find it was not there. Then she noticed Dottie was also gone. She called Dottie who was kind enough to return, with the hammer. Silly Dottie. ffluffy seemed somewhat nonplussed that Dottie would carry off a hammer, but to me it seems pretty typical. She saw ffluffy having fun with it, then ffluffy was no longer playing with it, so Dottie decided to give it a try. The funny part to me is she must have been pretty sneaky about it since ffluffy put the hammer pretty close to her foot in order to pick up the picture. So perhaps it wasn't as innocent of a mistake as Dottie wants us to believe ("Oh, you weren't done with that? I am so sorry!")

Second, today I went for a 4.5 mile run. I think that is the longest I have ever run for. We will focus on the distance rather than the fact that it took me 55 minutes! (It should have taken only 45 for a good pace.) 5 miles would have been neat, but it was very dark outside and I was in my official AF PT gear (since it was so warm and those are the only running shorts I brought) but I did not have my reflective belt on. Therefore, I believe I was out of regulations and didn't want to get caught in my last .5 mile. That and my feet were starting to burn a bit like they were thinking of getting blisters, so when I returned to the car and my GPS watch said 4.5 I thought it would be better to stop. My breathing was only a tad bit heavier than if I had been walking (and probably I could have walked in the same amount of time) but I think the cardio workout was better than walking. Sadly, this type of running will not help me pass my PT test. I actually enjoy running long and slow, although it is a bit boring. But then when I try to run just 1.5 miles for my test at a fast pace, I almost die from lack of oxygen. So on Monday it will be back to a fast short (torture) run.

Tomorrow is the Keesler AFB airshow. I'm looking forward to it. I am a little wimpy on the aerial demos. I worry that someone might have an accident. There is going to be a Military Working Dog demo and booth so I will be sure to check that out. The Budweiser Clydesdale are here too. I am just glad I can walk so I don't have to worry about parking or a shuttle.

PS- Even though no one was running with a hammer, I'm sure Dottie would be happy to. She was trotting with the hammer.

No comments: