Saturday, March 19, 2011

Angles Over the Bay Air Show

This airshow was commemorating Keesler AFB's 70th year of operation, which is 7 years longer than the AF has been in existence. Keesler started off as a technical training school for the Army Air Corps. Now it is a technical training school for the Air Force.

The airshow was very big. Lot of static displays, lots of ariel demos and lots of people. I arrived at around 11am and it was not very crowded. But as the day wore on the crowd got pretty big. I took a million pictures and posted 183 of them on Facebook.

I really wanted to see the Military Working Dog demo but no one could tell me where or when it was. I hung out by the announcer stand in the hopes that it would be there, but when the location was finally announced, it as on the other side of the show. I made my way there as quickly as I could, though the bottle necked most crowed area, and arrived just as the police cars were leaving. Drat! The show was set up in an L shape and where I was and were the demo was ended up on opposite sides of the L. The bend in the L was the most narrow point of the entire show, and also the most popular spot to sit. There was a walkway through the spectators, but it was only about 4 people widths wide. That did not help in my quest to see the demo.

All the aircraft flying were neat. The Blue Angles were amazing, but I do not like that part when 2 aircraft come from opposite sides and pass each other very close. I'm afraid it won't turn out like it should. Luckily my fears were groundless.

My watch told me I walked over 6 miles. My feet were a bit sore from the run yesterday and more tender from this walking today. I had sunblock on but my arms and face (even with hat) seemed to cook a bit.

Here are a few pictures.


C-17.


Clydesdales and Dalmatian.


Army Golden Knight.


Two stuck together (on purpose.)


Most of these aircraft I don't remember what they are.


B-25 Mitchell Bomber with bomb doors open. The type of aircraft that flew the Doolittle Raid against Japan in WWII. B-25 Mitchell Bombers- the only aircraft to be named after an individual.


The announcer also said something about the bombsite that my Grandfather worked on in WWII in relation to this aircraft.





This aircraft kept making smoke rings, then would come back and fly through them. I never got a picture.


Global Hawk drone. I had no idea these were so big! So I guess this thing flew here on it's own? Kind of creepy- Skynet.


Clydesdales at rest.


My kind of airplane! Also the only one I went in all day (actually I went inside the C-17 also.) When I passed this one there was no line. I didn't feel like waiting in line for the other aircraft.





Upside down. There was a lot of that going on.


Fat Albert- the Blue Angles' C-130.


Taking off in formation.




Minimum 18 inches wingtip to canopy. Crazy!





A great demo by the Blue Angles.

The entire show was very nice. You can see the rest of the pictures on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=68669&id=100000152104007&l=9b73ad1b3c

1 comment:

Older and Wiser said...

Great pictures! Picture #50 is the same type of plane that Craig flew a couple years ago at Santa Paula AP. It is a North American Navion. I saved the B25 pics for my desktop picture. I love that plane! I wish I could have been there to see it all and be with you.