Wednesday, March 30, 2011

On the Road Home! And a New Foster Malinois

I'm in Houston, Texas at the same Motel 6 that I stayed at on the way here.

After leaving Mississippi (where it was raining) I stopped in Louisiana to pick up a foster Malinois. There are over 25 Mals needing foster homes right now and some of them were located between MS and CA. At the time I decided to take her, there were none in CA. Since I felt like it as time to do my part to help needy Mals again, I picked one of the dogs who needed a foster home and who was on the way home.

The lady who currently had her turned out to be her owner. She is giving her up (and her other Malinois) due to financial reasons. She was nice enough to drive down to meet me along my way, rather than me having to go out of my way to pick her up. Her owner seemed a bit sad to see her go. She is up to date on her shots and is on heart worm preventative. She was being taken care of, but she had to go to a new home, so the owner did the responsible thing and called resuce, then kept her until a foster home (me) could be found.

About the dog- she is a female, under 2 years old. Her current name is Bandee but she does not respond to it for me so I might change it. She was an outdoor kennel dog. The owner's husband was a sheriff and had a Malinois for work. I think that is how the family originally got "into" Malinois. The got Bandee and three other puppies from someone who bred a litter and was selling the pups for $100 but no one would buy them, so ended up giving all for to Bandee's owner. Bandee herself was bred twice but the second time was an accident. Doing the math I'm thinking she was pretty young for the first breeding, which is generally not advised.

I'm told Bandee is good with kids and loves water. The owner said there isn't anything I shouldn't do when I asked since it is better to find out the easy way (being told) that a dog doesn't like something such as having her feet touched, rather than the hard way (being bitten.)

I think Bandee did not get very much socialization because right now she is subdued in her new surroundings and a bit skittish. She didn't want to come out of her crate and I had to drag her into the motel room (she walked in willingly the second time.) The loud toilet flushing scared her. I've tied her to the table I'm working at so she can't wander off since she is not housebroken. Even since I've been sitting here she's warmed up a bit. I think once she is more comfortable she will become more energetic. Now that she is settling in she is enjoying my petting more. She's had a big day- leaving her house, going for a long car ride, and now staying in a Motel.

Some other random observances:

She rode quietly in the car with just a few whines.

She likes treats but did refuse them a few times.

She has not pottied yet- maybe she is not used to doing it on the leash.

I hope she gets along with the other dogs.

New name suggestions have been Omelet (because of Bacon), Recliner Chair (Or Laz-E Boy), and Waterbed (since Bob has Sofa in his name) but I don't really care for any of those. A more serioius suggestion I considered was Beanbag- Bean for short since her name already has a B sound. Also possibly Beanie or Beenie. I just also thought of Bonnie.

She is very small. Her owner said 50 pounds. She seems much shorter than Dottie who is 22.5 and her body type fits her size (unlike Dottie who is like a string bean.)

She tips her head like Pie does when I have her attention and talk to her. She also tipped her head back and forth in the car when I first turned on the audio book.

She has already taken a dislike to the camera.


I bought her a pretty pink collar and a tag with my phone number. Hope I don't have need of that!


Tipping her head in a very Pie like manner. She is very close to Pie's coloring but the resemblace stops there.


Checking out the bed. Probably wondering why there are cigarrette burns on a bedspread in a non-smoking room.


This is what she thinks of me so far.


She is pretty.

No comments: