Saturday, March 26, 2011

No Subject

Nothing new to report... still excited about leaving soon. I checked out of the post office and the library and donated around 15 books and 2 DVDs so I didn't have to drag them all home with me. Of course none of the books I recently got as gifts nor the books I borrowed from anyone. Current count is 21 books read while here in MS.

Scroll down under the post under this one to read about my trip to the USS Alabama last Sunday. Blogger posts posts in the order that they were started, not the order they were finished. Also, Blogger is doing something extra weird with the photos and while I've always had to post them in reverse order to make them show up chronologically, that didn't work this time and they would be posted three in order, then the last 2 would get posted before the first 3. Frustrating. I moved the ones around when it really mattered (such as keeping pictures of the brig together) but other than that left it alone.

Enjoy! And if you are ever in Mobile, check out the USS Alabama, it really lets you see what WWII sailor's daily life was like. In my opinion, it was like being stuck in boot camp but worse. Worse because you were there for much longer than boot camp lasts and also your lives were in danger. It was much more cramped than AF boot camp. Once out of boot camp in the Air Force we could personalize our dorms, using non-regulation sheets and pillows (thank goodness!) But the bunks on the ship they had made up all had those yucky green wool blankets and stained striped pillows. Ugh.

Thank you, WWII sailors, for putting up with those conditions and keeping America free. (Of course also thanks to all the other branches of service also, but since this was a Navy day, it seemed most appropriate to thank them specifically.)

PS- Maybe being on a ship was seen as luxurious because you weren't slogging though the mud like someone in the Army. But I'm not sure I'd be able to be in that dark, cramped engine room while the ship was under attack, knowing that if the ship was sunk, I'd probably be going down with it. I was fine being down there with the ship safely tied up next to the dock, but it would be quite different if I was down there when there was actually a possibility of it sinking...

No comments: