Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Last Day of KOM Training



Today was the last day of the 8 week Knowledge Operations Management course at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi.

We started off with out last test. The test had some odd questions that did not appear to be straight forward but because I had studied so much I was able to take what I knew and figure it out. I scored another 100. Between the two courses (the first 2 weeks I was here was Information Management- KOM was actually only the last 6 weeks) there were 170 questions on the tests. I missed 2 questions total. My score for the first course was 100% and the second course was 98.6%

I am proud of that score. I am also proud I was able to help the other students on the hands on computer portions so much. I finished each hands on portion quickly and was able to offer help to students waiting for instructor help. As the weeks went by the other students started calling out my name for help, rather then waiting with their hand raised for the instructor, who was at times busy with other work.

There were 2 classes graduation at the same time. Between those 2 classes, the instructors give out one Top Graduate award. There was a MSgt in the other class who had a perfect score so she got that award. Then they can also give out some Distinguished Graduate awards. To get this award you have to have over a 95%, fulfill the "whole person" concept, and they will only give it t0 10% of the class at the most. Between the 2 classes I think there was just under 30 students.

I really wanted the DG award because not only did I study hard for it, but I also wanted to show my bosses back at my home base that I took the training seriously and am a hard worker.

Sadly, the instructors did not pick me. The picked the Top Graduate to receive another DG award (which seems wasteful) and the TSgt from my class who was the assistant class leader and instructed people to take out the trash and wipe down the boards. He was a very nice person, and personable also, so perhaps that was viewed favorably. One of my supervisors at work told me that I don't socialize enough and that doesn't look good. And here I thought work was for working and being professional.

I also thought the other thing in my favor was I attended the mandatory PT, while the other prior service members in my class did not. But the instructors do not know who attended and who did not...

I am not bitter or sour that I did not receive the award, just sad. Now I wish my percentage had been less so I had not been eligible because I feel it looks very bad to my bosses to have been eligible but not been picked. Will they think I screwed up? Maybe I was sloppy in my appearance or disrespectful to the teachers?

That's the way life goes sometimes. Everyone has a similar story. My boss did say in an email he is looking forward to me coming back so I hope that means he feels like I am a valuable employee who does good work.


My official certificate and three level skill badge.


Note I am posing my the file cabinet. That is what I do as a KOM. File. So much different than my last class were I actually had action photos of myself doing cool stuff like coming out of the tear gas chamber, plotting the direction of chemical plumes, using all different kinds of nuclear, chemical and bio testing and detecting equipment and wearing all kinds of protective gear. My last job was a lot more glamorous. Now I pose next to file cabinets.

1 comment:

Older and Wiser said...

I am proud of you for how well you did. It isn't right or just that you weren't the honor grad, but at least you know that you didn't just do your best, you did what was required.