Friday, February 4, 2011

Last Sunday's Cemetery Visitation

Having all day (last) Sunday with nothing planned, I decided to investigate a cemetery I noticed while driving onto Keesler. My first impression was that it was a historic cemetery and while there were some graves of people who lived in the late 1800s and were buried at the turn of the century, but there was also a very new gave, complete with very fresh dirt mounded on top. I suppose it is a historic but still in operation cemetery.

I noticed several headstones in disrepair and wondered why they were not being kept up. It was only later I realized they were damaged by Katrina. According to a website (what would I do without the research power of the internet?) the entire cemetery was heavily damaged and needed $300,000 to restore it. I believe the city began the work in 2007. As it further turns out- the family who own the graves are responsible to repair the headstones. The city money must have gone to fix the roads and such.

This is a quote from the Biloxi City webpage, "Owners and/or caretakers of plots and grave sites in the historic section of the Biloxi City Cemetery at 1166 Irish Hill Drive are hereby notified that they are responsible for any repairs to their privately owned plots damaged by Hurricane Katrina. The majority of the damage in the cemetery was on its southern end, within 200 feet of U.S. 90. Owners and/or caretakers of the plots listed below should contact the City of Biloxi to provide detailed information about damage and planned repairs to their respective plots."



A view of the newer section of the cemetery. The oldest section is the part closest to the beach. Notice the houses that back right up to the cemetery.


I spotted this sign. Why are there no Volksmarches in California? I seem to recall doing them in Illinois and I think I've seen pictures of Claire in a backpack participating in Germany.


I looked at many individual grave sites and saw many veterans from WWI, Korea, and WWII. I wish there was someway to know more about the people than just their name and dates. I wonder if in the future we will use our smart phones and will be able to listen to a recording of the person's eulogy or a biography. That would be a great way to remember someone you never knew but visited their grave.


Don't bury me by the bees, no one would come to visit!


Some parasite or vegetation in the trees that we don't have in CA but looks "typically" Southern.


Katrina damage?






I did not look inside this one. I hope the person buried there has since been moved.


After exiting the cemetery I found the beach. Which was 100% deserted. Not a walker or runner or swimmer or anyone. Maybe it is closed?


Apparently my first thought was correct, according to this street name leading into the cemetery.

I feel as though my pictures did not do the cemetery justice. I didn't want to be too touristy and take a lot of pictures because I wasn't sure that was very respectful. But the cemetery did feel and look very old and different from modern cemeteries. Not that I've been to a lot (thankfully.)


The beach again and a carved wood eagle artwork. Right about now it started to rain and I walked back to the base on the other side of the cemetery. As I walked along a car zipped passed me and a young man shouted out of the passenger window- You! Hey You!! Then they were gone. I do the same thing to random walking strangers so I understand totally. (That was sarcasm.)

I have since learned that there are additional wood carvings all along the beach (and a huge eagle outside of the BX/Commissary.) They are made from wood washed ashore or trees felled during Katrina.


Driving to a tasty dinner in the rain and spotted some Katrina damage. Maybe it is a bit hard to see but the smaller bridge just ends.


I would like to know the story behind this sign that was posted on a store that sells your items on Ebay for you. What even prompted the posting of the sign.

I am finally starting to figure out my way around here. My GPS always wants me to go in a back gate which is almost always closed. Now I know which exit to get off on the highway that puts me right to the base front gate, rather than around the back.

No comments: