Friday, February 4, 2011

How Are the Dogs Doing Without Me?

Very well, I am relieved to say! ffluffy is taking such good care of them that they may not even miss me. The report is Dottie and Pie are let out into the yard and run around chasing each other like maniacs. Fancy, however, does go to the gate to look for me each time. Other than that, she is not nearly as distraught as I was worried she might be. ffluffy has even left her loose in her house while she is at work, even though I cautioned her that if she becomes anxious, she has been known to destroy things. But living with ffluffy is agreeing with Fancy and she has not been anxious and has not destroyed anything, expect for some tortillas on the table. BAD DOGS. My dogs are opportunists and will eat stuff left within their reach. We dont' know if Fancy, Pie or ffluffy's dog Pickle was the guilty party. Maybe they all shared.

Some people will tell you dogs don't respect you if they "counter surf." Others say it is a matter of training. (You can put items on the counter such as a mouse trap that is supposed to frighten them into not trying again. I remember my Mom once put a chili pepper for Sheba on the edge of the counter, in the hopes that she would eat it then be distrustful of food on the counter from then on. Instead she just ate it. I think she enjoyed it too. Anyway, I don't know what to think about BAD countersurfing. Mostly I am careful to put food far way but every so often I forget.)

After the tortilla incident ffluffy reported Fancy was ON the counter so she was taking measures against that. Such as either locking her up in the bedroom or back in the crate. I forgot to ask how she knows she was up there. Fancy footprints? Yes, it is very bad.



Here is Fancy sleeping under the covers with ffluffy. Fancy is like a stuffed animal in bed. You can hug her all night and she'll still be under your arm the next morning.


Dottie was the lucky one chosen to take a hike with Tempest the Vallhund (the dad of Hunda from previous posts) and Pickle the BC.


Having a little drink.


Being her typical weird self and SITTING in the water with a very strange look on her face. It was reported to me that the water was beautifully clear until Pickle churned it all up by digging. At least Dottie didn't do it!


The hiking gang. I commented that I was surprised Dottie was able to avoid investigating the cacti and ffluffy replied, "Don't worry, we had pliers and Dottie was very good while I used them on her." Alas! I know my dog too well. She did get stuck by the cacti. If I know her as well as I think I do, she probably did not learn her lesson either.


I am very shocked that Fancy likes Bobby so much. He is the same age at Dottie and very exuberant. Fancy does not like wild, pushy, in your face dogs. Bob has shown me that wild, pushy and in your face is not the same as just being exuberant. Bob reads other dogs like a book, and respects their wishes. Apparently Fancy understands that about him and they get along great. ffluffy says they play at least twice a day. Amazing. Fancy hardly ever plays with the Mals and when she does she ends it by snapping at them and driving them off. I've watched her and Bobby play and they both end by seemingly mutual agreement. More likely Fancy is giving off some kind of invisible (to us) "I'm done playing" vibe and Bob knows and respects that. Interactions between dogs are so interesting! It appears in the photo Fancy is trying for the head over the back- I'm more important than you signal. Not very nice of her, but Bob doesn't seem to mind. Maybe she has to remind him to make sure he remembers to play gentle with her. She is a bit short for that particular gesture.


The day before the hike was a dog show day. All the dogs where loaded up in the van with Fancy and Pickle in the front seat. Not to worry, ffluffy was not driving! Everyone else was loaded up in the back. If I remember correctly, everyone got a chance to walk around the show grounds and check things out. Fancy was apparently the crowd favorite, being so cute and all.

The dogs seem to be enjoying their vacation. Tomorrow ffluffy has entered Pie and Dottie in a USDAA show. Dottie just got her USDAA number and it will be her first USDAA show! She was entered in 22 inch performance because she is young and her normal height would be 26 inches. At less than 2 years old, she probably does not need to be jumping 4 inches higher than her withers. Darn USDAA jump heights. Fancy is not entered because she does not enjoy agility as much as the Mals, so I wasn't sure she would run for ffluffy, and if she did run, it might not be fast enough to qualify on the tight times of a USDAA course.

I can't wait to hear how it goes! I know the mals will have fun and I hope ffluffy does too. She is also running her dogs so it might get a bit hectic for her.

No comments: