Sunday, February 6, 2011

Another Hike! And a Dog Show!

Sadly, not for me, but happily, for my dogs! Yes, ffluffy did it again. Treating my dogs to a hike on Saturday then an agility trail on Sunday!

This time it was Fancy's turn. They went for an 8 mile hike up steep terrain in the Superstition Mountains. As you'll see in the pictures, the scenery was amazing. I am very jealous and hope to be able to go someday. ffluffy reports there was lots of water to play in.

This time on the hike along with Fancy was Hunda the Vallhund, Pickle again, and a new Border Collie foster- Blaze. As with the last hike the humans are the same- ffluffy, kiltman and ffuffy's brother. Who has a nickname like everyone else...hmmm.. I'm forgetting it at this moment.


As ffluffy said when she posted this on my Facebook wall, "No hike is complete without Pickle/ Fancy up on something pictures." Fancy and Pickle are very similar in that they both do whatever they are told. Even if it is something that you haven't really trained them to do.


The hiking gang. I wonder what Fancy is looking at?


Fancy looks alert.


Some of the dogs were getting sore feet and poor Hunda is so short legged compared to the other dogs, he needed a ride for a bit. This lead ffluffy to realize one problem with a Pie sized dog. If something happens to that dog, you might not be carrying her out. Pie is 60 pounds. I'd get her out of there- eventually. However, with the steep terrain, we might both end up at the bottom of a ditch. Yikes.


Today was a USDAA show for Pie, Dottie, Bob (ffluffy's BC who is the same age as Dottie) and Hunda. I did not get a report on how Hunda did. (Maybe Hunda was not entered and I am confused.) Bob is the star of the day. ffluffy has been training running contacts with him, and because of that, his progress has been slower. The training of running contacts is very slow and methodical and put everything else on hold. He has been entering jumpers classes but no standard. Today was his first time doing standard. He was amazing! Perfect running contacts! Great job to Bob and ffluffy! I do not have the skill or patience to teach a running contact successfully. I tried for a short time then gave up. But ffluffy stuck with it and today saw that it was all worth it. I'm so proud of them! Lots of exclamation marks!!!!!

Dottie was crazy in her first class which was standard. She leaped off the a frame and dog walk, did not weave, popped out of the weaves, ran around jumps and did not listen. I asked ffluffy how her teeter was and her response was, "We didn't get to the teeter." Uh-oh!

However- in jumpers she was amazing (so I'm told!) ffluffy says she ran at border collie speed, even though it was hot outside. Cool! There may be a video.

Dottie also ran in gamblers but she did not get the gamble and may have had some bobbles.

ffluffy says Pie was very happy to be doing agility. She ran really fast and listened well. ffluffy ran Pickle at 26 inches in USDAA for years, until he retired, so she told me running Pie in 26 inches felt like she (ffluffy) was back where she belonged.

If I remember correctly, Pie had a bar down in jumpers and an off course in standard, but the important thing was how much fun she had. Pie loves agility. I haven't don't USDAA for a while so I'm sure Pie was extra happy to get an "extra" turn. In AKC we only have 2 runs per dog and when I come back to the x-pen to get Fancy or Dottie, Pie always is hopeful it is her turn again. I have to tell her, "Sorry, Pie- you've had your turns." Not that I think Pie keeps count of how many times she gets to play, but I'm sure having an extra turn was fun for her!

Next weekend ffluffy is running even more dogs. Crazy! It is the Fiesta Cluster in AZ and she is running the same dogs (Pie, Dottie, Hunda, Bob AND Tempest!) She might need a pinch handler or something to help her out.

Thanks again, ffluffy, from me and my dogs! I know Fancy loved the hike and the Mals loved the mils!

No comments: