Sunday, January 17, 2010

Learning Tracking!

The Schutzhund club had a tracking day and Pie and Dottie (and me!) had their/ our first tracking exposure. The dogs that had never tracked before (like mine) worked a smallish circle, while the more experienced dogs did different levels of real tracks.



Dottie's first time out wasn't a huge success. She found plenty of the hot dogs I put on the circle, but I couldn't tell if she was always eating hot dogs or maybe some of the peppers that were scattered in the field. She zoomed all over the place eating things.



Looks good though...



Headless puppy!


On Pie's first "track" I was instructed to make the track more obvious. This also helped me see the track. Pie stayed on the track better than Dottie.

Then I watched other's track and got lots of good info from the training directors. Now I just hope I remember it all.



Pie sniffs out the hot dogs.





Pie again.

Dottie's next circle went a bit better, but she got fixated on one part of the circle and kept going up and down on it. Which is ok since she is still learning, but since she had eaten the hot dogs on her first pass, she was not getting rewarded for being on the track. I need to find out what I should do if this happens again.

On Pie's second circle/ track, she did great. Only thing she did "wrong" was to go backwards. She found the end of the circle and followed it all the way around to the begining. I was very happy since she stayed on the track the entire time!

The tracking location was at a local farm's currently unused fields. Very pretty.
I always love to learn new things when it comes to dog training, so this was great! I am so glad the club held it on a day I could go.

Later in the day a friend and I took our dogs to PetSmart to practice obedience because of the up coming show next weekend and because it was raining outside. Pie didn't do so good. Bummer. After the big dogs practiced the puppies came out to play. Dot had fun. We might go back tomorrow. Rain needs to go away!!!

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

Were the hot dogs boiled, grilled or right out of the package?

Three Dog Days said...

Right out of the package. But choped up and actually, defrosted in the microwave. They were smelly and slimy. Not something a normal person would have any interest in consuming.