Friday, January 30, 2009

The Payoff

No, its not some illegal scheme to sell my government job.



I took and passed my "Airman Leadership School" correspondence course with a 90%. Then, I took the PT test and ran the mile and a 1/2 in 14 minutes in the cold with a really strong headwind, did 19 push ups and some sit ups (can't remember how many!) and got max points for my waist measurement. That all was good for a score of 85% and a "good." Now I have fulfilled my requirements to be promoted to Staff Sargent/ E-5, so my dad and everyone else on base can stop asking me, "When are you going to get promoted?" Maybe 6 years is a long time to be an E-4/ Senior Airman. It is now up to my supervisor to put in the paperwork. Then I will be official.



So the payoff was promotion (sooner rather than later, I hope) and the work was my "diet" which consists of eating a fiber bar (yum!) for lunch and my starting the Couch to 5 K program recommended by Claire. I just finished the third week, but I might stay there for another week since my PT test took a lot out of me. The C25K showed me I can mix running and walking and keep up a better pace over all. When I was running last summer before I hurt my knee (again) the fastest I ran the 1.5 mile was 16 mins. Towards the end I was going so slow I probably could have walked faster. That was after a month of preparation. After 2.5 weeks of prep this time I was able to do it in 14 mins because I walked some to keep my pace up. I walked 2.5 minutes total. I know I did my best because I threw up at the end. Or at least, I would have if I had eaten breakfast. As it was the PT monitor was treated to my dry heaves and retching sounds. Poor girl. But it was worth it because I passed and can now get promoted and don't have to take the PT test for another year. On the other hand, I almost couldn't get out of bed this morning because my muscles were so sore from the push ups and sit ups. That would have been a good excuse for calling in. Better than one of my past supervisors who called in once because "My cat slept on my head." That was all she told us. Pretty strange... Turns out the whole story is she is allergic to cats and her face swelled up so bad she could barely see. But she didn't mention that, now did she?

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

Hurray Marla! Congratulations!

Claire said...

That is wonderful news!! I am very impressed, plus a little jealous. I am also happy that you will be getting promoted soon; surely that means you will be buying me lots of presents!