Thursday, January 15, 2009

House Update

I know that is a boring title, but at least it is descriptive. I really like my new house. There are a few things that aren't wonderful, but overall, it is super. However, I am very glad I didn't buy it (not that buying it was ever an option.) The person living in the other side of the duplex has had problems with her second bathroom ever since she moved in. The bottom of the toilet leaked and then when it was sealed, it no longer flushed. The snake wouldn't go in and when the guy came to rooter it, his rooter tool got all wrapped up in roots. Uh Oh. It turns out the leak was where the water came out because the pipe was so full of roots nothing could go out that way. Once the leak was sealed there was nowhere for the water to go. The plumbers have been here for three days straight and today they were in the crawl space under the house all day. He reports the roots are so thick under there he had to dig a trench under them. He brought out the shower sink drain. It is so full of roots, I don't know how any water ever drained. The pipe is completely broken, so I guess all the water just leaked out under the house. Where are all these roots coming from? He speculates all the pipes are probably full of roots and that includes mine as well. Next he is going to remove a lot of the concrete patio on her side. So far the bill is $3000 and if the landlady had to pay for all the work that was being done (she doesn't for some lucky reason) it would be $12000. See, there are some good reasons not to be a homeowner.

The offending roots in the shower drain.

In other house news, I took a bath and it was nice, but I got too hot and got out quickly. Some may remember I didn't have a tub at my last house. I think I needed a fan to keep cool.



Also, my magic grow anywhere under any conditions grass seed came. Not surprisingly on the bag is all kinds of directions about cultivating the soil and adding fertilizer and other such things that sound like a lot of work. I do need to do something as Fancy is now a grey dog from the dirt in the back yard and my agility instructor was able to spot how dirty she looked, even though it was dark outside. I will try the magic seeds, but if they don't work I might think about sod. I would pay to have it installed, as installing sod is even more work than cultivating magic seeds.

No comments: