Thursday, January 29, 2009

Eats, Shoots and Leaves

Bad punctuation aside, no Pandas allowed. Not only because they appear to be violent, but also because if the sentence was properly punctuated, they might eat my new shoots.




I finally spotted some new shoots today!! See for yourself.

Aren't they cute?

And here is the large bare spot, but you probably can't see the little shoots from this far away.



I have been watering diligently. Once in the morning with the automatic sprinklers, and once in the afternoon with my manual sprinkler, positioned in three different places for optimal coverage.








Even through the grass is growing, it will be a while before the dogs are allowed back into the yard to enjoy it. In fact, today they broke out there while I was in the front rounding up a Blue Tick Coonhound and a German Shorthaired Pointer. They lived a few houses down. By the time I rounded up my own dogs, there were several large Pie Prints in the wet soil. I hope the grass will be able to stand up to her weight and speed when she is finally allowed to play out there.






I want to know- does anyone sell crabgrass seed? It is green, hardy, will keep the dirt away, and seems impossible to kill. My kind of yard plant. The only green stuff in my yard when I planted my grass was crab grass. Since it is so easy to keep alive, why do people hate it so much?




1 comment:

Claire said...

Congrats on your baby shoots! They are indeed very cute and I am sending them growing vibes right now. I have never heard of anyone selling crabgrass and you will probably be run out of town if you go around asking for it.

Remember to water lots, and let the grass grow much higher than normal before you cut it for the first time. We did that when we sodded and it really helped.

PS. I like the comment you left today about your doggie translations. Pie and Moxie seem the most alike. Today I determined Moxie has ranked our family thusly:

Army Man-pack leader and truly the greatest person to walk the earth
Me-acceptable stand-in when the Army Man is gone (no attention is paid to all of the runs I take her on, food I feed her, training I do, vet appointments I drive her to, grooming and healthcare I administer, toys and food I purchase for her)
Laura-small, amusing playmate who makes a marvelous high pitched noise when stared at