Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fancy's New Cart

I wanted to try Fancy as a carting dog since when I was practicing with Pie, she never got a turn. I have the most fun teaching my dogs new things, rather than spending lots of time perfecting what they already know. So it was Fancy's turn to start carting.


First I needed a cart that was light enough for her to pull. Pie's wagon weighs 50#. Fancy only weighs 30#. I got the BMX tires for Christmas and I found the milk crate online. Then some of the guys at my work put it together for me. The guy who did the most work builds and restores motorcycles and cars as a hobby and maybe professionally as well. He did a great job. The only thing that we have to figure out still is how to keep the shafts from rotating. A screw through the bracket and the shaft will do it, but I tried and it didn't come out right. Figures. I have a second set of shafts that are taller and longer so Pie can pull this cart too. The shafts easily remove by unscrewing a bolt. I didn't take any pictures with Pie because her shafts were rotating too much and giving us problems. It is odd that the tree is wider than the shafts, but even though it is unconventional, it seems to work.



Fancy did just as well as Pie did the first time. Maybe even better. I could tell she was enjoying it because she had a happy tail the entire time. If she was sad her tail would be droopy, but that never happened. Not to brag too much on my Fancy girl, but a lady came up to us while we were carting around and asked, "Is there anything Fancy can't do?" and I answered truthfully, "I haven't found anything yet." Maybe the handstand, but I think we could eventually get that.


Lots of people at the agility trial complemented Fancy on how good she looked and how cute. She gave a little Papillon a ride and someone took a picture so if I get a copy someday I'll post it. "Everyone" also agreed the cart turned out very nice.





Pie does as good job pulling Fancy, but Fancy is lucky because she will never have to pull Pie!

3 comments:

Dano the Mano said...

Go Fancy! She looks so cute while pulling, quite the pro. I agree, I don't think you have yet found anything Fancy can't do. I don't see Moxie ever pulling a cart, although I am teaching her the commands "paw" and "watch me". So far, semi-okay. She's tricky, that Moxie.

Lexi said...

It would be nice if Hermine did anything cool... actually it'd be nice if she did anything other than bother me... I am not into having a dog I have to take out to the bathroom twice a day when I have two babies! And, handling the double stroller and a leash is no fun... I should train her I guess, but I choose to use my time elsewhere... the end of my Hermine bash! Poor girl, she needs more LUV!

No One said...

I didn't realize the carts are so heavy, what are they made out of?

PS - I am thinking about dognapping Cindy's dog and sending it to you to train. What is your fee? I'm just joking (but seriously, how much?).