Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ocktober Fest

I was invited to an Ocktober Fest by two ladies my same age, so I figured I should be social and go. It was at a local place called Underwood Family Farms (sort of like Lombardies but larger.) Not that I'm a total cheapskate, but we had to pay $10 to get in and they closed in two hours. Then we payed another $10 for four tickets which got us four sample beers or wines.

I hate beer. It it gross. Gross. Gross!!! First I tired really dark beer. Upchuck city. I gave it to one of the other girls. Then I tried a Hefen- Wisen (I'm not looking up the spelling of that.) A tiny bit better, but I couldn't finish that either. Third I attempted a wine that was supposed to be fruity but was nasty. Passed that one along too. Finally I had a white wine that was drinkable, but barely.

We checked out some of the vendors, including a dog trainer that I've seen online, "Sit Means Sit." They have a special collar that they train with and sell. It is a shock collar. One of the girls got into a debate because she called it an e-collar (for electricity) but the people wanted her to call it a "remote collar" claiming an e-collar is the lampshade you put on a dog to keep them from getting at bandages and the such. I agree the lampshade is also an e-collar (for Elizabethan) but that a shock collar is also an e-collar. They wouldn't agree so we left. The next day I got my first Schutzhund magazine (comes with being in the club) and on the back there was "police k-9 equipment" being advertised, including... an "e-collar." And the picture did not depict something you can buy at the vets. So there.

In addition to harassing the dog trainers, we also did an Amazing Maize Maze. But they only called it a corn maze. That was fun.

They had many animals, including pygmy goat that climb large ramps that go over the places you walk between the other animals. I wonder if the goats ever take a toilet break up there and the people underneath end up having a bad day? While we were checking out the cow the farm closed and we were tossed out on our ear. Hmph!

I'm glad I was social, but I wish it had been a ice cream tasting fest. Beer- ugh!

No comments: