Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Free At Last!!

Knotty has finally been cleared of having distemper. Her tests kept coming back positive, after the effects of the vaccine should have wore off and no longer affected the test as a false positive. She seemed perfectly healthy, yet the darn test said she had distemper. I couldn't let her out of quarantine and jeopardize unvaccinated dogs. I finally found someone who knew something and recommended looking at IgM and IgG and bingo! The test showed not only is her immunity great, but she has not recently been exposed to the virus. So Knotty came out of quarantine and terrorized all the dogs and went on a little walk on the neighboring property. She carried a stick or part of a pine cone the entire time. When she went into quarantine she was 14 pounds and smaller than Blossom my mini poodle who is 14 inches tall. Now she is a hefty 22.5 pounds and maybe two inches taller than the poodle. Anyone want a Malinois puppy? She's a handful!






After Knotty finds a new home I'm going to be a puppy raiser for a local border collie breeder so when I have my puppy obedience class I can actually have some experience training puppies. The breeder is keeping two puppies to breed further down the road. By raising it, the pup gets to live in a house rather than a kennel. Then after I'm done with it, I send it back. And if I've trained it enough, I show it every so often (with the breeder paying the entry fees.)
Getting back to Knotty- she is really happy to be out of the box! But right now she is back in the box so I can update my blog. I think she is trouble (she was mean to Pie.) I wish her new owner luck- who ever that might be! Actually now she is back out of the box and is terrorizing Pie's toys.



No comments: