Sunday, March 29, 2009

So I won't be posting for about a week since I'll be out of town and incommunicado. I can't say were I am going- it is a secret. But I will say it is cold. The people in charge keep reminding us to bring our cold weather gear. Oh, you mean the cold weather gear that was so thoughtfully issued to us? No, that doesn't exist. I suppose they mean the cold weather gear that is avaliable for purchase in the local shops. Nope, that doesn't exist either. All the stores in Southern California are selling bikinis. Maybe the cold weather gear avaliable in the location we are going to? There is only one shop, and it is only open certain times, and we were cautioned to pack our cold weather gear because it is highly likely the one shop will sell out. I was issued a knit cap, so perhaps that will keep me warm.

Three of our guys went to this secret location two weeks ago. One came back with frostbite on his lip. FROSTBITE. I manged to work this into a conversation and one of the people in charge said, with an actual wave of his hand, "That was minor." Minor or not, I don't think FROSTBITE should ever be "waved off" as if it is not a concern. I've lived in Southern California for 96% of my life. I had to look up the meaning of the word FROSTBITE. I am very concerned, especially since I may be inadequately dressed, and I will be working the night shift and sitting in a truck for 12 plus hours, and for some of that time, I will not be allowed to have the heater on.

Obviously, one week in the cold is not a hardship compared to year long deployments, living full time in a third world country, or being a POW for any amount (I can't get this to unhighlight) of time. Keeping it in perspective is key. But I promised Fancy I would return and not abandon her, and if I freeze to death in a snowbank, I'll be breaking my promise to her....

2 comments:

Claire said...

No freezing to death, dying in a snowbank, or even getting frostbite, please! Keep warm, keep covered up, don't get wet while out in the elements, and hit up Dad for some of his cold weather gear!!

Good luck and have fun, if at all possible.

PS. Does that mean Pie and Bloom are less concerned about your return than Fancy is?

Three Dog Days said...

Little Bloom won't notice I'm gone and Pie will be bored to be alone, and happy when I return, but only Fancy acts as if I've returned from the dead. Fancy is insecure, while Pie is a more confident dog.