Monday, March 2, 2009

Grass- Not the Illegal Kind

I had the gardener, who is really the landlady's husband, cut my grass for the first time this weekend. Maybe it wasn't quite as tall as I would like, but the weeds were really taking over and stealing all the sun and blocking the grass out. I couldn't pull the weeds without disrupting the grass, so I had the weeds decapitated instead. Perhaps more retaliation than was justified, but hard times call for hard decisions.



First, here are some of the weeds that necessitated the cutting. This was taken a few weeks ago before they got super huge.

And here is a post cutting picture. Weeds are magically gone! Of course they will come back, but for now my grass can enjoy the sun.





But there are still plenty of spots that need to be filled in more. The pictures hide these spots well.

As a reminder, this is a "before" picture, taken when I planted the grass seed on MLK Day in Jan.

The yard is still not established enough for the dogs to play in. Maybe someday we will all enjoy the time and $ spent getting the yard nice and grassy.


PS- Thanks, Mom, for an extra tasty dinner (and for calling me to tell me about it in enough time to enjoy it!) on Sunday. Yummy!

2 comments:

Claire said...

Your grass looks awesome!!! I am shocked at how well the seeds took. That never seems to work around here-all our sandy ground will accept is sod.

You're probably smart to wait before letting the dogs enjoy the grass-Moxie and her running around in our wet backyard has absolutely destroyed it. She flings pieces of grass everywhere and now it looks like a battlefield.

Older and Wiser said...

It will be time soon for some weed and feed. The grass looks great!