Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Three Miles and Oil Based Paint

On Monday, I ran a 5K for the first time in my adult life. It wasn't in a race, it was just around the base, but it was still the first time in a long time I've run three miles with out stopping. I remember doing a 5 K at Six Flags Magic Mountain when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure I ran the entire thing, but I haven't run that far since then.


Today, I was scheduled to run three miles again, and I did. But it was hard. Not "near death" hard, but not easy either. Between passing the one mile mark and all the way until just past two mile is the hardest part. After passing two miles it gets easier, somewhat.


Also on Monday I was tasked to to some actual Civil Engineering work, as opposed to secretarial work. I chipped paint, sanded, primed, lightly sanded again, then painted several metal doors on base. It was getting pretty warm, and the physical labor made me less inclined to run during my lunch break, but I did anyway. The oil based paint got on my hands and watch and uniform. It came off my watch with paint thinner. It sort of came off my hands after I used latex gloves and got all sweaty. It is still on my uniform.


The painting brought back my tendinitis in my right elbow. It hurt pretty bad, but it is already better.


I haven't had any pictures for a while, so I will leave you with this. When you think your dog is being bad and digging up the yard, be thankful Pie is not your dog!


2 comments:

Claire said...

Great job on your run!! That is awesome. I agree, the last mile is definitely the easiest. It's been a while since I've done three miles. I did about 2.3 on Tuesday and that nearly killed me. Sad, huh?

And Pie and Moxie are definitely related. I have a hole like that in my backyard too. Yesterday Moxie dug up our tree. But more on that later.

Moxie is getting groomed tomorrow (actual hair cut involved!) and I will be doing my first unaccompanied run in a while. I have high hopes that I will have more energy since I won't be reeling her in all the time. We'll see if that is actually the case or not.

Three Dog Days said...

You might consider a no pull device for Moxie. I prefer a small prong collar. It is easy on her trachea, and unlike a halti, won't hurt her neck if she has the tendancy to lounge at things. The no pull harness by Premier might not be good for her shoulders, and I don't think it works that great. Just a thought... call me or email for more info!