Monday, March 16, 2009

Creepy!

Looking at this spider at the very top of my tall ceiling, right where the wall joins the ceiling (making disposing of the spider difficult, if I am even able to reach it at all) I reflect on the creepy things in my life. To save time, this post will dwell only on the creepy things I have found in my bed. And I do mean creepy.

The first big surprise was a lizard. I decided to take a nap one day after an agility trial but before church in the evening. I laid down on top of the covers, and snuggled up with my pillow. Blissful. Then I felt something move on my neck. I thought it HAD to be Pie giving me the Pie Poke, but I couldn't leave something like that to chance. I filled over and she was having a snooze of her own on her nice, thick, orthopedic pad. Nothing was disturbing HER nap. I felt the something move again and vaulted out of bed, threw the covers back, and found a lizard. What on earth could a lizard want with my bed? I know it is comfortable, but this is a lizard. But maybe a simple lizard yerns for comfort. My mattress is a pillowtop after all. I highly recommend a pillowtop. It has stopped my shoulder being unusable if I sleep on it too long, and it has stopped my back from hurting when I first lay down every night. (What is the name of that Garth Brooks song?- she asked rhetorically.) Back to the lizard. It obviously crawled up there by itself and burrowed under my quilt, because I can't imagine anyone breaking into my house to put a lizard in my bed. It was no longer moving. I think I squished the poor thing to death.

Next, in my new house, I found a rather large spider. In my bed. I am used to finding large spiders other places, but this one was IN MY BED. YUCK. I don't remember the circumstances exactly, blocked from my mind, no doubt, but I do recall that for whatever reason, I was lucky to spot it before I got into bed. Like maybe Pie had left a toy on my bed and as I was reaching to remove it, I spotted it.

I have also found dog toys in my bed that were not there when I fell asleep, but they are not creepy, just strange. And the toys themselves are not strange, it is strange that Pie puts them there while I am asleep and manages not to wake me up.

The final creepy thing I found in my bed is a cricket. Again, I was just about to get into my bed and there it was, crawling all over the place. Crickets are awfully like cockroaches, if you ask me. EWWW. I scooped him up in a cup and threw him out. It is bad luck to kill crickets. Jimminy was the only creepy thing to survive being found in my bed.

Last night I remembered to turn down my sheets before turning the light out, least anything else had taken up residence in my bed while I was away for the weekend.

While I was contemplating creepy things in my bed I remembered a practical joke my dear Dad played on me when I was much younger. Please don't take this to mean I think my dad is creepy, but once he hid under the covers right before I got into bed and then jumped out and scared me just as I was getting ready to get in. I was very surprised and there was shrieking involved. Again, my dad is not creepy, but he did hide in my bed once just like all these creepy critters. So I suppose two beings survived being found in my bed!

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

I deny hiding and scaring you when you were little. I bet it was Mom and not me.

Claire said...

That is all very creepy and horrible. Thanks, now I will be checking for spiders in my bed tonight. It reminds me of "The Sound of Music" where she tears back the covers to check that the children didn't put anything there to scare her!

And if Dad did scare you, it's only what you deserve since you would ALWAYS hide and scare me when we were little. I hated that! Laura tries to do it to me all the time now and she actually does scare me now and again. Grrr.