Monday, March 16, 2009

Two and Three Quarters...

...of a mile that is. And counting. I probably could have gone the entire three miles, but why push it? When I started the Couch 2 5K program at the recommendation of Claire, I followed the program of running for time, rather than distance, since I don't have a track to run on. Plus, running for 60 seconds seemed easier than running for 1/8th of a mile, or however far 60 seconds equates to.

The only problem is now that I have made it around the entire 2 and a half mile perimeter of our base, I know my time is slightly off from my distance. The program says, "Run 2.5 miles or 25 minutes." Well, it takes me just under 28 minutes to run the 2.5 miles. So now I have switched over to distance. Therefore, today I ran for 31 minutes to go the 2.75 miles. My 5K will end up taking about 35 minutes. I am ok with that. My nice slow pace means I can breath the entire time and I am not near death near the end.

The great part about my running area is it is all flat (except for some tiny variations which I do notice) and it is safe because the only traffic is the security patrols.

3 Miles or Bust! Possibly Bust....

The question remains... how long will my knee(s) hold out? It already came out once, right in front of the chaplain (he said a prayer for me.) Luckily I was leaving that knee instead of coming down on it, so it wasn't as bad as it sometimes is. If I was a dog, my poor conformation which leads to my knee problems would ensure I wouldn't pass OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals for those who don't know.)

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

Go Marla! Be careful of the knee. Do you wear a knee brace when running?

Claire said...

Wow, you are running much more than me! I finally hit 2 miles again last Thursday and haven't been able to run since. I hope to leave in a few minutes but I am guessing I won't do as much.

And yes, please be careful of your knee. You might consider trying to swim or do an elliptical trainer every so often to give your body a rest. You are young now and can recover easily, but what about when you are older? Also, if you want a really good workout, get a yoga or pilates video and have at it. That is some of the hardest physical work I've ever done.

Keep up all the hard work!