Thursday, April 9, 2009

Home At Last

I've actually been home since Sunday (well, late, late Saturday) but I'm only updating now, and only because my loyal readers are demanding it.



Obviously I did not freeze to death in a snowbank, although there were still snowbanks available. We were snowed on once and although it stung my eyes, the snow did not stick. I also did not get frostbite, but my lips did get chapped.




There is too much to mention here regarding my adventures in the secret location, but evacuating the burning building while under attack (I had to leave my uneaten MRE behind,) building the never ending 300 foot (radius) cordon through the woods and over the snowbanks, and discovering that even though I am the shortest person in the shop, I can still walk the fastest (those people are so slow!) are among the things I will mention.




Also, on the plane ride home, I got picked to fly on the flight deck. Not only is is neat to see all the pretty buttons and toggle stitches whose purposes can't even be guessed at, but it is also much more comfortable. There is a nice big PADDED bench and plenty of legroom. Plus a five point harness. Since I'm not flying and therefore don't need to be held immobile in the event of a crash, why did I need a harness? For safety? If so, shouldn't everyone on the aircraft have a harness? Or are the poor saps unlucky enough to be flying in the back not important enough? Just wondering. I would like to take the opportunity to thank my loadmaster friend who gave me the hookups for the nice seat. I enjoyed watching our progress on the screen with the little airplane cutout flying over what looked like a Mapquest map. It reminded me of that game "TakeOff." It was also cool to see we had a woman pilot. I don't think I have ever been discriminated against for being a female, but it is still neat to see that the girls are allowed to do all the same things as the boys. I don't think I could ever fly a plane, and this was only confirmed while watching the night landing. We swung out over the ocean and approached the runway. It had lights on either side and looked way too short. And everything was dark, except for the runway lights. Very tricky. I think landing during the day would be hard enough. It was super cool to watch the landing out the front windshield, or what ever it is called in a C-130.




Now I'm home and the dogs seemed to take the whole thing pretty well. Even Fancy. The pet sitter did a good job and maybe she is finally figuring out that I always come home. Pie got really fat. Here is a picture of fat Pie and normal Pie.





Pie's big show is just over a week away so I am quickly trying to get her back into shape.

2 comments:

Claire said...

I am so happy to hear that you survived. That is so cool about sitting in the front of the plane-what an opportunity!

I would ask how Pie managed to gain so much weight in such a short time, but the same thing seems to have happened to Moxie in the Army Man's absence, so I guess I understand.

This Little Hen said...

I think it is so cool you got to ride on the flight deck! pie looks great TOned and ready or "fat". She's not "fat" she aint got nothing on my two lard butts! I need DESPERATELY to get them into shape. Any pointers for 2 dogs who dont like to run? LOL