Sunday, June 23, 2013

Trying Something New- HITT

HITT is Hydration Intensified Tracking Training.  Dottie already tracks on hard surface but is having trouble so I thought I'd give this a try.  The idea is the don't even realize they are learning to track on the hard surface.  They are just eating the food.  You put the food so close to the previous food so they never pick their heads up.  The water helps hold the scent.  The thin line of water is actually easier than a wide line because it is "deeper water."  A wider stream evaporates quicker.  The first time I did this it was too hot and the water evaporated as I was putting the food down! 



I decided to give this a try after laying a track in a park on the typical crab grass and then onto the asphalt parking lot, aged only 1/2 hour.  I waited until later in the evening so the breeze would die down.  It was so frustrating- she had so much trouble!  On the grass she checked every 2 feet and wandered off the track.  On the asphalt she mostly couldn't find the track at all.  She eventually got to the first article and I pulled her off after that due to the amount of difficulty she was having and because 2 cars had parked RIGHT ON TOP OF my corner.  This huge empty lot and they parked in the 1 place that didn't work for me.  I've been having bad tracking luck recently; maybe HITT will help our  technique and turn our luck around!

My turn is under those 2 cars.

No comments: