Monday, May 30, 2011

AKC Pomona Show Update

On Friday Pie and Dottie did obedience. Dottie got her second CD leg with a score of 184. 7 points off on on leash heeling and 8 on off leash due to forging. Forging then coming into perfect position on the halts so it was a back and forth kind of thing. Her ears were down, but I think her tail was up and wagging, so not sure what to make about that. On the long down she was squirming, and on each figit she ended up 1/2 inch closer to the tiny dachshund next to her. She wasn't looking at the poor dog at all, but he was not happy and was leaning away from her. He was so good and didn't move at all, but I felt so bad for him. She doesn't squirm in practice, but I'll be on the lookout for it so I can help her realize that isn't ok. I don't want her disturbing the other dogs in the line up. We didn't get any points off for it, so maybe it wasn't that bad. But the little guy thought it was.

Pie did not get the sit signal. She was stressed. Sigh. Her heeling wasn't that laggy, but she was leaving sweaty, wet footprints on the matting. I do not think I will enter her in San Diego in June. Why stress my dog? I know other people have this issue also. I might not care about obedience enough to try to fix it. I need 6 more legs for a UDX. I've never had a UDX, but if I can't help Pie not stress in the ring, I'm not going to put her in that situation just to get a title for me. She did everything right in Open B, so another possible leg blown due to one little, tiny thing. I was sure to not let her know she had messed up and she got the same rewards as if we had Qed.

The parking was really bad. We had to unload, but I unloaded in the wrong spot and still had to drag my stuff far. Then after unloading we had to completely leave the Fairplex, go all the way out, and come back in the same place. Park, and take a shuttle. I missed Dottie's turn but they let us go at the end. When we left I put my stuff in a really good spot to pick it up. But they had closed the original unloading spot so I had to park then drag my non-folding crate, chair, and ob props (scent articles and such) 1/2 way accross the fairgrounds to get to the new loading spot. It was not pleasant.

The parking the next day for agility was fine. Some smart obedience people parked at agility because then you didn't have to deal with the loading and tram. Even though it was a bit far, it was a better option. Too bad parking is $9 a day!

So far so good in agility.
(Copied from Facebook which is why the font is odd.) First day at Pomona I was very lucky to QQ with Pie. We were very out of sync and just barely held the wheels on with some 100 mph tape. So no placements. Then today we QQed again with a first and a second in a class of around 25 dogs! Pie loved the cold weather which is were the speed for the placements came from. That and staying in the Motel always makes her hyper due to lack of exercise.
I thought ffluffy was staying at my house for the show. But I told her Bunny might have some shelter gunk and I've quarantined her. I thought her dogs shouldn't play with my dogs just in case they are incubating something. Even though I don't think they are, because then they wouldn't be at the show. But you can't be too careful. In that vein, I decided to board Bunny at the vets, just to make it even safer for ffluffy's dogs. But since all our dogs couldn't run around the yard together, she decided to get a motel room closer to the show than my house 1.5 hrs away. So I stayed with them last night. But I usually don't sleep too well in a Motel and decided to stay at home tonight. That and Bonnie won't potty "on the road" and needed to go home just to potty. Glad my dogs are not like that.

It was very cool (cold) today. As I said, the dogs loved it. I would have loved it more had I been wearing pants. Brrr in my exercise skirt. But usually this show is boiling hot. Pomona in the summer? Yuck. I actually got rained on this morning when feeding the dogs.

I'm hoping we have another good agility day tomorrow. The show has been great due to having ffluffy and other friends around.

(PS- We had 10 dogs in the motel room and that does not include Bonnie who slept in the car. All the dogs were quiet and good. You would never know we had that many dogs... All the dogs slept loose except 2 who are aggressive, 1 who is really likes my girls and slept in the bathroom and one who is sort of new and doesn't know the sleeping rules yet. I wonder how Bunny will fit into all this dognessness?)

No comments: