Saturday, April 16, 2011

Possibility

This was one year ago this month. Watch.

This was today. Watch. It gets especially good at the end.

I don't know what made me think about trying the running contacts again. I do know that I know more about them now that ffluffy has successfully trained her BC to have great running contacts. For example, I now know more dogs will jump on a flat board and a bit of height actually helps them not jump.

But knowledge isn't enough. Do I have the dedication, the time, the willingness to not show in standard until she is ready to show with a full height running dog walk? At this point I'm not sure.

We haven't been Qing a lot recently so not showing would save some $.

Most likely I will give it a few more sessions and see how it is going and see if my enthusiasm holds up.

Dottie actually turns tight if I remember to cue it. With a tight turning 24 inch dog and running contacts and new, improved faster weaves... we could maybe be competitive. Except I forget myself. I have to remember who she has as a handler. Maybe after Sept when we try for our SchH1 I'll send her to ffluffy and ffluffy can be competitive with her since she is a good handler.

Of course, "competitive" is a relative term. Pie has many, many first place runs in agility. But I suppose I don't consider us competitive because after 2 runs (1 day) of the Invitational, we were in 11th place with clean runs. We had no where close to a 1-4th place run. A truly competitive team (because it is my training and handling also) would have higher placements at a National event.

Pie's biggest downfall is her inability to turn tight and her medium speed weaves which may be caused by her back. Despite not being competitive on a National level, Pie is always fun to run! No, you can't have her.

1 comment:

Dove said...

That contact training is FABULOUS!!!
~Roxie
Wow that's a bug improvement!!!
~Dyno
Hey great job! Keep up to good work!
~Bella