Monday, April 4, 2011

Hike in AZ

On Saturday we got up early and did some agility before it got too hot. ffluffy is teaching 2 news dogs a running dogwalk, after having such success teaching it to BC Bob. Now she is working on Grinder, a Papillon, and Hunda, the Swedish Vallhund. She is also teaching Bob to turn after the dogwalk, which also seems to be going well.

ffluffy worked on getting Dottie to do a faster dogwalk. The key for Dottie seems to be I can't slow down at all. I have to do from a sprint to a dead stop at the bottom. That is difficult to me. I practiced a bit and it was working better at the end. ffluffy was also working channel weaves with Dottie to speed her weaving up. Dottie goes fast through the weaves, but every so often gets stuck on a pole (maybe her bony hip catches?) and the next time she goes slower. We made the channel a bit smaller and Dottie was still speedy. The weave poles belong to Bo and she let me take them home so I can continue to make the channel more narrow. It is pretty narrow now so we should be done soon. Even though it is not technically weaving, Dottie would be faster if she pushed the poles out of the way.

After the agility and a yummy breakfast which did not help me in my goal to loose weight, we loaded up the car for a hike. We went to Cave Creek, which is near Carefree. Down a 12 mile dirt road, and yet it was still a popular (crowded) spot. The dogs stayed on leash due to rattlesnakes which we didn't see any along the trail. However, we did spot one on the road as we were leaving. Despite the lack of snakes on the trail, it was for the best the dogs were leashed since we ran into so many people. As I've said before, my dogs would ignore other people, but Pie goes so far ahead, I don't want her to scare anyone if they come across her while I'm still out of sight. However, having Pie on leash the entire time made for a less than enjoyable outing because every time we stopped, she took up whinning and even some yips. When we stop on an off leash hike I guess she is tired enough to welcome the rest, but not so this time. Next time we are on an on leash hike she will have to stay home.

The scenery was great and the weather was perfect. The only bad part of the hike (other than Pie) was most of the trail was loose rocks which I don't like to walk on. But I survived and enjoyed myself.

My camera batteries died but I got some of the photos from the other hikers.



Starting off.


Watch out for the rocks.


Very pretty area and perfect weather.


First swimming spot.


Nice level spot with shade.





Waiting to cross the creek.


A crawfish.


More swimming.




This cactus is crested. Which is very rare. Apparently it is caused by a virus?


Me enjoying the hike.


Whacker (ffluffy's bro) ffluffy, Kiltman and me.



Fancy always rolls around after getting wet. The weed on her nose is a special touch.





So happy to be with my dogs. Dottie did not get to come, but I was happy to be with her also.


We went swimming in this super deep pool. It was very cold at first.


Pie is in the splash and Fancy jumped next.


More swimming. I was glad to not get eaten by the pond monster.


Don't know what the McDot meant but it made me think of Dottie McNuggets.



Fancy post hike in her default position. As you can see she is dry after swimming and by the time we got back to the car I was dry as well, despite swimming in my clothes.

No comments: