Saturday, April 9, 2011

Another...

I love my dogs Post!

I had so much fun at the agility trial today.

After being sick on Friday and fighting to stay awake at my computer, (even with eating a bag of Skittles and going outside for fresh air), skipping lunch and staying late due to work that had to be done before the weekend, I came home and went right to bed. Then my Mom called at 9pm and woke me up from a dead sleep. I had my revenge on her by confusing her. After answering the phone I asked her what time it was "there." (We both live in the same state- about an hour from each other so this question made no sense). She told me it was 9 and asked where I was. I told her I was in Arizona. Later in the conversation, I told her my trial this weekend was in Ventura (CA).. The part about Ventura was true, the part about Arizona was not. I have no idea why I thought I was in Arizona, and by the end of the conversation it was determined I was not in fact in Arizona. I'm glad we were able to clear that up.

Back to the trial. Beautiful weather on the beach today. I got to hang out with all of my dog friends I haven't seen for 2 months. I got to run all of my dogs, one in each level. Pie was in Excellent. She had 2 off courses in standard but was perfect in jumpers and got first place. Dottie was in open and with her new faster weaves now needs faster weave entry work. She also drifted wide around a jump then didn't take the tunnel. Nice and fast, which is really my main goal. In Standard she had weave issues again then missed the last jump. No Qs for baby Dottie. However, this was also a nice fast run so I was happy! The cool weather helped, I'm sure.

I was going to try to get her qualified for the AKC Nationals next year which may or may not be in Reno next year. But she is still a baby and isn't ready to Q consistently yet. I don't want the pressure of trying to get her qualified. I want to enjoy my baby dog runs and take success when it comes. I want to find pleasure in the little things, and not be obsessing about Qs. So I called ffluffy and she agreed to come with me to the Nationals in 2 years when they are back in Oklahoma. That is the Dottie plan for now, but I also suggested the plan is allowed to change- for example if ffluffy gets a different job and isn't available to take time off work. I just wanted a preliminary conformation so I could look forward to maybe taking her in a few more years. I think eventually Dottie will be a successful agility dog, but we aren't there yet!

Fancy Pants was moved down to Novice Preferred 16 inches so she can run 16 inches at the Nationals. Is it better to finish 23rd out of 200 dogs, as we did last year, or possibly make it to the finals out of 30 dogs? The finals are always fun, but there is no guarantee we will make it. We could make a mistake, or we could be clean but the border collies who beat us in 20 inches and who are now in 16 will probably still beat us! But in the mean time Fancy loved novice because the course are so wide open with no tight turns. She can run full speed and not have to slow down to turn. She got 1st in jumpers and one of the other dogs was a BC! (He is around Fancy's same age and is a super nice dog, but not your typical speedy BC so don't be too impressed.) This club had really nice toys for first place. Both are now destroyed.

This club had a worker's raffle and I won! The prize was $50. Nice!!! More entry fees. They also had a yummy lunch of El Pollo Loco and home made cupcakes of which I had one. And only one.

After the show was over I took a walk on the path that runs along the beach down to the pier and past the hotel. My dogs were all walking at the end of their leash ahead of me as they always do. The difference is the number of people doing different thing was much greater than we normally meet on our walks. This is one more reason I love my dogs. Bikes came from behind with no warning. Joggers passed us silently. We overtook other dog walkers, people pushing baby strollers, recumbent bikes, a contraption that seated 4 people peddling, toddlers... all of this my dogs passed without a second look and had no reaction when they came up behind us with no warning. A dog like Dottie with her high prey drive and desire to chomp moving objects I might think I would have had to have her in heel position on a short leash. But she was totally relaxed and understood none of these things were in her sphere of influence. It was almost as if she had blinkers on and couldn't see anything except directly in front of her. Pie and Fancy are more seasoned. Fancy would not pay any attention any way, and Pie has been trained with leave it commands. But I was so very impressed with Dottie.

Now Fancy is curled up with her head somewhat on my lap, wearing Bloom's old sweater to keep warm, Dottie is sleeping on the other side of the love seat with her rear end a bit on top of Fancy's and her paw over her nose, and Pie is on the foam dog bed with her head on the ground. Bonnie is in Dottie's large create with her head smashed up on the side as if there is not enough room for her to stretch out, but since she is about Fancy sized I'm not buying it.

A great day today! Now I just need to get in bed at a decent hour so my sickness does not come back.

1 comment:

Older and Wiser said...

It sounds like a grand day out!