Sunday, January 30, 2011

Last Day of Driving

This post is almost exactly the same was what I just posted on Facebook.

I left Huston around 10, I think. Hard to remember now. The drive was long, but uneventful, that is, until I arrived on base and the person behind me ran into a barrier then sped off and the front gate guard handed me back my ID and took off to chase him on foot. Since then nothing else eventful has happened and I think that is a good thing.

This morning I went to church, then the BX/ Commissary, drove around a bit trying to figure on the location of certain things, changed, went for a run, then explored a bit. That will be in a following post.

Back to the drive.


Approaching a tall bridge.



Down the other side.



A huge swamp. In fact, the largest swamp in the US. Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_Basin




I bet this is where Ms. Viola Swamp comes from. The Swamp is Watching You!


I had been driving for...some time, when I realized I had been on a bridge over the swamp for... some time! The bridge is over 18 miles long and is one of the longest in the world!



It goes on and on and on.



Approaching a bridge over the Mississippi River.



I was a bit disappointed with Old Muddy. Or is it Big Muddy? I thought it would be wider.


Looking up river. Yawn.


I made it!


This is something outside a rest stop near the Stennis Space Center. Either a robotic probe or lunar landing vehicle. I couldn't really tell and the picture isn't great either.


I got really lucky and got a room above my pay grade! They didn't have room in the building with the shared bathrooms where I was supposed to stay.

It is in a 2 story building and I am on the second floor, so no one to make noise above me. One of the other buildings is 5 stories. Also, judging by the parking lot most of the rooms are not used right now, and everything is nice and quiet. There is a free laundry room and the bed is very comfy.



Stay tuned for my big adventure exploring the Old Cemetery!

1 comment:

Older and Wiser said...

Nice pictures! Nice room too. The thing outside the space center is a replica of the Lunar Excursion Module or LEM. I made a model of this many years ago when we were still traveling to the moon.