Friday, January 28, 2011

Still on the Road

I made it to Houston today. First, I want to apologize to Lexi for not stopping in to see her as I zipped through San Antonio. I really, really wanted to but I am driving a lot of hours each day and didn't think a 15 minute visit would be very satisfactory. My list of people "To Visit" (Claire in NC, Anna in WA and Lexi in TX) isn't getting any shorter, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. I wish my school was at Lackland. Then I'd be coming over every night!

My motel room here at the Huston Motel 6 is interesting. It is "brand new" and very different. Too bad the light colored bed spread shows the stains. Ugg.


I'm glad the stains don't show up in the picture.


Note the pergo floors and flat screen TV. If I had a monitor cable I could hook my computer up to the TV and watch dog videos nice and big.



Fancy bathroom.


I brought my dollar store poinsettia on the trip with me. When I left CA it was doing well. I left it in the car over night in AZ and then in Van Horn. I removed it while packing up the car the next day and found it had died. I am hoping it is not completely dead. I watered it a lot and put it on the dashboard for a full day of sun. However, I think the direct sun was not good for it either and now it is even more wilted. I think it got very cold overnight in Van Horn, if the temperature the next day was anything to go by. It dried out and froze. I will nurse it back to health, I hope.



Starting out this morning.


What the poor thing looks like tonight. I think tomorrow I will leave it in the shade.


Speaking of Van Horn, don't be fooled by the town's logo. I figured any town with a logo must be on the way up, but sadly, I think the logo was just a ruse to fool people like me. That town is...wow. I don't know what to say. One perfectly straight street of no-name, discount motels, most empty and boarded up, plus a "Fancy Junk and Unusual Objects" lot. Pretty sad for the people that used to own the motels. One of the redeeming spots was the Chewy's. They have these in CA also. I think TX and CA are the only places. I would have eaten there if it was lunch time.

I went for a jog in the morning and almost died. Apparently the 4000 ft elevation was too much for this sea level wimp. I wanted to do 2 miles but only did 1.5. Good thing Keesler is on the beach.

Nothing else to report. Stopped at Junction, TX for gas and Sonic. Yum. I think the town itself might have been off the freeway, because the only things I saw in Junction was the Dairy Queen, the Sonic and 2 gas stations.

In closing I will say that just because there are certain people I haven't seen for years (!) doesn't mean I don't think about them a lot!

1 comment:

Lexi said...

So, where exactly are you going?.. I think I missed it... I think about you too!