Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Story

So the base Chaplin comes to me today and says, "Marla, we need to talk about your problem." And I say, "What problem?" And he replies, "I'm not sure if I can help you if you don't admit to yourself you have a problem, but I am referring to what some people call being a 'cutter.'" And my first thought is, "I've never cut in a line in my life. In fact, using my front of the lunch line pass in junior high always made me uncomfortable." He must have seen the blank look on my face because with concern in his eyes he gestured to my arm. Glancing down, I spotted the problem. Multiple thin scars. Scabbed over cuts. Brand new lines that looked like they just finished oozing. All overlapping and criss-crossing in intricate and yet random patters.

I shrugged. "I appreciate your concern, Sir. But I'm not mentally ill. I have a Malinios puppy. Or is that the same thing?"

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

Yikes! Time for leather gauntlets when interacting with the puppy?

Three Dog Days said...

Maybe the wonder woman thingies. Bracelets of power or whatever they are called!