Monday, February 15, 2010

No One Nose Like a Belgian

I have found someone nosier than Pie. Surprise! It's Dottie. Some people might not be able to imagine a nosy dog. Trust me that the term "nosy" was originally invented in regards to dogs, and probably Belgians in particular, and perhaps even with the foresight that it would especially apply to the two residing in my home. In the dictionary it says, "Nosy. Adj. A dog who puts her nose everywhere, especially places it does not belong and at inconvenient times. Is now used also to mean a person who minds someone else's business."

Fancy is not nosy. She will watch what I am doing but will keep her distance. If, for example, I'm doing something that involves sitting on the floor, say putting together a bookshelf, she may mosey over and get in the way by standing on the directions or putting her chin on my knee to get pet. But that is not being nosy. First, she is not interested in what I am doing, and second, her nose is not involved. Pie, on the other hand, will put her nose in the bag holding all the little screws and root around as if she is an ant eater looking for a meal. Or maybe she will put her nose in the narrow box just as I am pulling another shelf out, and therefore her nose will cause the shelf to become jammed inside the box, until I yell at Pie to remove her nose, and remove herself from the room.

I think Belgians are so nosy because they have big pointy noses. Other dogs have pointy noses too. I am thinking in particular off Borzoi and Collies and Greyhounds. I am guessing these dogs are nosy too. Any dog with such a pointy nose would have to be. However, I argue Belgians are the most nosy because not only do they have pointy noses, but they also have the muzzle strength to back it up. Even if you did not WANT your Belgian to shove his nose into the pvc pole you just put glue all over, that is too bad, because you were too physically weak to make him keep his nose to himself. Also, with out naming which breeds I may be thinking of, I will also say Belgians are the most nosy because they are the most active, most intelligent, and the most curious. The other pointy pests cannot hope to compete.

If you have a Belgian, make sure he or she has a full understanding and inclination to obey the words "out," "leave it," and "NO!" before ever letting him or her into the bathroom with you, or any other location you may plan on disrobing. I'm just warning you.

So, back to Dottie. I recently took my vacuum (sweeper, for those who are strange) to the repair shop and got the on/off switch repaired. The nice man also cleaned it up, replaced a filter, and also the belt. The belt breaking was what prompted me to finally take it in. I can replace the belt myself, but since I had to go to the repair shop to buy a belt anyway, I might as well get it all fixed. The first time I used it since I've had it back, the brand new belt broke. I was pretty sure that was what was causing the horrible smell, but I flipped it over and got out the screw driver to take it apart just to be sure. And here is where Dottie ears the title of the most nosy. Not only was her nose touching the underside of the vacuum where I was attempting to unscrew the screws, she actually began to nibble on the screwdriver, while I was using it! And not the handle either. After I determined it was the belt, she further demonstrated her nosyness by poking the little black rubber shards the belt deposited in the carpet, sniffing the pile of dust the vacuum left behind when I opened it up (as I was attempting to clean it up by hand, of course) then poking the packing tape roll I had used to pick up the rest of the dust. Keep your nose to yourself, Dottie.

Hmm... I just realized I probably could have used one of the hose attachments to pick that dust up instead.

No doubt the further nose adventures of Dottie will continue. I just hope the vacuum isn't involved next time.

So what is the metal part of a screw driver called? I'm guessing "shank" but only because it sounds plausible.

No comments: