Sunday, February 7, 2010

One Foot In the Grave...

I was just reading an article about how our local hospital is no longer allowing certified nurse midwives to deliver babies. The article mentioned certified nurse midwives usually deliver low risk babies. High risk babies are usually delivered by ob-gyn doctors. But that isn’t really the point of this post. The point is one of the high-risk factors mentioned in the article. The high risk factor mentioned when delivery a baby is a baby who is being born to an older woman (30 plus years.) I might as well just check myself into a nursing home now. How depressing.

PS- The post about the chaplain is not a true story. It was inspired when I saw the scratches on my arm from playing with Dottie. I think she needs her dewclaw trimmed as I think they are very sharp and that is what has been scratching me. I don’t generally brag- “Look how crazy my puppy is, she’s chewed my arm up!” because I think a pet dog should be more careful to not accidentally bite you. Dottie still draws some blood on my hands, but it is when she is really excited and I’m had feeding her small pieces of food while training. It would not be good training to get your dog all excited, then discipline them for not being careful enough when taking food. Better training would be to make sure the dog was calm before giving them the food, but in the case of many dog sports, that isn’t practical. So toys are a better reward method. But I like to use food because when using the toy I always want to be sure to use it correctly and not take it away too soon and accidentally decrease desire for it. Using it correctly takes up time. So any accidental hand tooth scratches (because it isn’t a bite) is just something I just deal with, but not something I think one should brag about. All of that isn’t really relevant to the made up “Story” because the scratches referred to are from her claws. However, I did want to mention I don’t think it is a good thing my dog has scratched me, nor do I think it is good when she bites me, although if you do think it is a good thing (you know who you are!) then that is your prerogative.

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

I'm glad to read that the story was just that, a story. I didn't like the thought of Dottie being so rough with you! Maybe we can do a snow trip this weekend?

Claire said...

No way is 30 old enough to be a high-risk pregnancy. That's just lame. Now I question the whole article.