Sunday, February 28, 2010

San Diego Obedinece Trial Day 2

A much less eventful day today. Beautiful weather. Sunny and warm. Pie qualified in both open and utility earning her second UDX leg. (Such a good girl!) No placements today. Pie didn't get as many pets today since I had her crate out the entire time she spent more time in it. Even though we are not a very precise team (my lack of training Pie to be correct) we still received many compliments about what a nice working dog she is. One lady (a steward!) us we should have had first place since my dog obviously adores me. If only that was all it took!

Pie's go outs were so straight yesterday I was a bit disappointed they were not as perfect today, since it was the same ring and all. Ah well, it gave us a chance to show off she can correctly take the jump I direct her to even though she is much closer to the other one.

Another bobble was she had trouble with the leather article. She picked up the wrong one, put it down, picked up the right one, put it down, did more checking, then picked up the correct one and brought it back. It is points off for picking up and putting down, but I was oh so proud that she continued working and didn't panic when she couldn't make up her mind and randomly pick one. What a good girl.

But even better was when I did a horrible throw on the Retrieve on the Flat (darn those indoor shows and bouncy dumbbells!) and the the dumbbell ended up behind the jump. Pie went out, turned around and headed for the jump, then swerved at the last second! Whew (insert brow wiping.) She thought about it and made the correct choice. I do proof for this by standing close to the jump and throwing it and giving a verbal correction and stopping her if she is about to take the jump when she is not supposed to. The cue that she is supposed to jump no matter where the DB ends up (I proof throwing it off to both sides a lot) is I send her with "over" on Retrieve Over High Jump and "get it" on Retrieve on Flat. I still use "get it" in AKC even though I changed it to "bring" for SchH.

The drive home was smooth. I stopped for lunch and bought Pie a double cheeseburger which she ate in one bite. I saved the top bun for Fancy and Dottie.

Fancy's pad are better today. No limping.

I just took Pie for a 2 mile bikejour ride. She sprinted the first mile and I didn't pedal except to start us off. Then she trotted back home with me helping on the hills. Now she is running around the yard with Dottie. If I had know she still had energy I wouldn't have pedaled at all! We are not going too far to start off to make sure her pads don't get injured.

Dottie also went for a very short ride but with her we are working on not pulling.

The entire time I was typing this and checking my email, Pie has STILL been running around the yard, barking in frustration that she isn't catching Dottie, then some wresting, then a drink then MORE running! Crazy dog. Apparently long car rides, being crated all day, and no exercise make her insane. Who could imagine? I wonder if the stress of working hard at the show has made her feel the need to relax and "blow off steam" by running. Running A LOT.

Now Fancy and Dottie are playing chase. I hope to get a video of that someday.

No comments: