Monday, February 22, 2010

Weird Disorders You Didn't Know Existed

I came across a rather horrible story about a very rare disease where a mutation causes tendons and muscles to turn into bone as a result of trauma. Trauma as slight as a bruise. The unfortunate people who suffer this condition do not live very long and end up becoming more and more immobilized as the disease progresses. Yikes.

Luckily for me I do not have that condition.

The condition I do have is Claustrophobic Leg Syndrome, or CLS. This syndrome is characterized by an uncomfortable feeling when the sufferer is unable to move their legs for extended periods of time. The legs themselves may or may not be sore or in pain, but the feeling that characterizes CLS is quite distinct. The legs themselves become panicked and may attempt to thrash around or free themselves from confinement. The only treatment is to avoid circumstances that confine the legs. In my case, the doctor recommended I get a bigger bed.

The problem is I have been letting Dottie sleep with me occasionally. No, that is not the problem. The problem is I also let Pie and Fancy sleep with me. Pie on my right and Fancy on my left and that leaves the foot of the bed for Dottie. She likes to drape her 40 pound body over my legs and even if she is not actually on my legs, with Fancy pinning me under the covers on one side and Pie anchoring the covers on the other, Dot is between my ankles and my legs are as immobilized as they would be if they were encased in cement. Last night I tried to readjust them and I almost popped my kneecap out of place. Unless I get a king sized bed my CLS dictates Dottie will be sleeping in her crate. When she is 100% house trained she can sleep in the room, but she'll have to stay off the bed.

Obviously there is nothing too exciting going on in my life right now if I am making up names to describe what happens to my legs when three dogs share the bed with me. I could blog about how I almost got subjected to a Trial Committee Hearing at the agility show over the weekend but that is embarrassing, so I'll skip that...

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

I'm glad you realized that you don't need a three dog night.

Lexi said...

So... I vote, for your health, perhaps all dogs on the floor! (I know it seems harsh, but there is NOTHING like a REAL good night's sleep!