Monday, November 9, 2009

Sled Driver

A book about the coolest plane ever built, the SR-71 Blackbird. I would love to read this book, but at $400 plus, the price is a bit steep. I believe this is an excerpt. All I can say is... wow.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/vetscor/1981814/posts

Can some one explain to me how a jet engine works? It has moving parts, right? How can something go that fast, and not fall apart? I've read that the type of engine designed for the SR-71 had three settings. Off, idle, and acceleration, so there is no true top speed- the speed is limited to when the engines fail- explode. Before reading this I had always read the top speed was classified, but maybe that is a euphemism for, "Heck if we know."

I recommend reading the entire article. For me, it is as fist hand account of something so far outside of my existence it is extremely exotic and almost unbelievable.

"It is a race this jet will not let us lose. [they were outrunning missiles] The Mach eases to 3.5 as we crest 80,000 feet. We are a bullet now - except faster. We hit the turn, and I feel some relief as our nose swings away from a country we have seen quite enough of. Screaming past Tripoli , our phenomenal speed continues to rise, and the screaming Sled pummels the enemy one more time, laying down a parting sonic boom. In seconds, we can see nothing but the expansive blue of the Mediterranean . I realize that I still have my left hand full-forward and we're continuing to rocket along in maximum afterburner.


The TDI now shows us Mach numbers, not only new to our experience but flat out scary. Walt says the DEF panel is now quiet, and I know it is time to reduce our incredible speed."

The question is- how fast is scary to someone who has gone Mach 3.5? It truly amazes me the things humans can make. The human body is somewhat limited, especially in relation to some animals capable of extreme speed or jumping abilities. But for us to construct an airplane that can go over 3 and a half times the speed of sound? Cool. And as much as I like the space shuttle and rockets and such, it is so much more amazing when it is a (mostly) normal airplane going that crazily fast.

No comments: