Sunday, June 7, 2009

Nevermore?


Actually, I decided Kate is right and it is a crow, so the obvious reference is now just making me appear foolish.


This bird was flopping around in the parking lot when I went into church, and he was still there when I came out. His wing and leg on the same side seem to be injured. I waited for the other cars to leave, then I nabbed him, using my BDU top. While I was stalking him, some other crows (these might have been actual ravens) showed up and began to caw loudly at me and one or two even dive bombed me. I beat a graceful retreat to decide if 1) If getting my eye poked out was worth it and 2) With friends like these, did he even need my help?


I came to the conclusion that if a raccoon happened upon him, his friends wouldn't be help enough, and while a poked out eye was too high of a price to pay for helping injured wildlife, I didn't actually believe that would happen. And it didn't.


I followed him around for a while trying to get a good throw of the BDU top. I took aim and let fly and missed completely, and not even because he moved. Nope. Apparently he had given up and was just laying there. So I retrieved my top from right next to him and placed it over him and picked him up and put him in a dog crate in my car. I called the local wildlife rehabilitateor people and are waiting for them to call me back so I can hand him over. He is hanging out in the car in the crate while we wait.


I hope they call soon and that they can and will help him.

No comments: