Monday, June 8, 2009

"Civil Engineering, This is Um... ah..."


This weekend at drill I was promoted to E-5, Staff Sergeant. The group commander and Command Chief Master Sergeant came (at the request of my supervisor) to "tack me on."



Now I just have to remember to answer the phone, "Sergeant Marla" instead of "Airman."

One of the best parts is the powers that be made the promotion retroactive, since before our little deployment, so I should be getting some back pay.

I am holding my Certificate of Induction into the Noncommissioned Officer ranks in this picture. From left to right- Mission Support Group Commander, Me, my First Sergeant, and the Wing Command Chief Master Sergeant, with our Chief Master Sergeant in the back ground.


The Certificate.

My certificate for finishing the Airman Leadership School via Correspondence.




This card was waiting for me after the promotion. It is from a Chief from another squadron. I don't know him, but apparently I have a reputation to uphold.
Afterwards, the entire wing turned out for a promotion party for me.


Actually, this was our wing celebration for working hard and doing well at the ORI (Operational Readiness Inspection.) Look, parents, I have a fruit AND a vegetable! After eating, I watched a horse shoes game (best of three) and a softball game.

5 comments:

Claire said...

Wow, congratulations! I didn't know you were due to get promoted. I assume you'll use your back pay to buy me presents, right?

I like the note from Chief, very nice and true! Also, why don't you have ACUs?

Three Dog Days said...

No ABUs for me because I have not been issued them. You get them if you deploy or if you are brand new or if you buy them yourself. I don't know when I'll be issued any since $ is always a problem. However, I was given two pairs, so when I am issued some green boots (no black boots allowed) then I'll have ABUs.

Older and Wiser said...

Hurray for SSG Marla! I remember being at your base the day you were enlisted into the ANG. Now we have two E5s in the family. Too bad I didn't know about this, I would have come over and lurked around to embarrass you. Or maybe that's why I didn't know about it...

LTC Dad

Three Dog Days said...

Lurking is always good, but you had your drill. Maybe in a few (?) years or so when I make E-6 you can come lurk and not embarrass me then.

No One said...

Congrats Marla...I guess the reace is on now to see who cane make E6 faster!