Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dottie Goes Herding

I thought Dottie might be good at herding.  She doesn't have crazy prey drive for live animals like Pie does.  Pie tried herding and was very good the first time, but the second time she turned on even more.  In Pie's case, she doesn't have enough herding instinct, and has too much prey drive.  The herding instinct should tell her to control the sheep, and not eat them.  She just wants to chase and eat.


Dottie has prey drive for toys and the like, but when it comes to real animals she is more ho-hum.  I thought, if she doesn't ignore the sheep, she might be ok.  So we gave it a try.


She wasn't bad!  But, time will tell if she gets too over the top like Pie.  Dottie only bit the sheep one time, and it was wool grabbing, not a "I'm going to take you down and eat you." like with Pie.  Dottie listened well and downed when I told her, and came when called.  Of course, I don't know what I'm doing, but overall I thought it went well.


See this stick Dottie?  Do you know what it is for?  It is for Bad Dotts.


Being a good Dot.

A nice down.





Holding the sheep and getting ready for a call off.



This weekend coming up Dottie and I are trying for our IPO 3 (SchH 3.)  It is at the other local club where we have practiced twice.  I feel a little under prepared since we have been working to improve her grip, and not working the exercises or control.  We are going to go out to the club tomorrow so I can run the blinds and work the go out.  Then the weekend after that is AKC Nationals!  Should be a good time for all.

No comments: