Saturday, December 11, 2010

Invitational Day Three


Three clean runs each! Good, good girls.


Yes, this is a bit late. Perhaps the outcome had me a tiny bit sad and I didn't feel like writing about it right away.

Fancy was up first in jumpers. The run went well until the second to last jump. I did a front cross right in front of a jump and when I moved out of the way, Fancy had only a split second to see the jump and attempt to jump it. She tried very hard to heave her body over the bar, but she was already at the base of the jump, and pretty much crashed right into the bar.

Next up was Pie. Run went well, up to the SAME EXACT JUMP! I sort of indicated the jump but didn't tell her to take it and she just came around with me, instead of taking the jump, earning us a refusal. I should have went back and had her fix it, but I was so demoralized by my own poor handling we just went on to the last jump. It turns out if I had fixed it we would have been the highest scoring Malinois and earned a pretty medallion, but that's ok. I'll imagine the medallion hanging on my wall, knowing Pie earned it except for my lack of agility handling skills.

The next round was a hybrid round with all the obstacles except the dog walk. We were out of the running for the finals so I just ran as fast as I could. Both girls did great. Pie finished seventh in that round.

Overall, I haven't checked were either dog ended up, but I know Pie was near the bottom since I didn't go back and fix the jump- we took a zero for that round.

I am very pleased with how both dogs ran. Fancy was fast and happy the entire time and Pie listened very well and did not knock any bars. Both tried super hard and if it wasn't for me and my spazmatic handling, both would have had four clean rounds. (We were soooo close!!)

After agility, Dottie tried dock diving. She went in the water from the ramp, but wouldn't jump off the dock. I think she might do it eventually, but isn't quite ready yet. Then we went up to Meet the Breeds and both Pie and Dottie represented the Malinois and got lots of pets. Pie loved it, as always- Dottie liked it, but not nearly as much as Pie. I always enjoy Meet the Breed because I get to talk to people about my favorite subject and my victims are willing listeners!

Here is what I wrote the night after the last day of the Invitational: I ♥ my dogs! I was just thinking about how hard Fancy tried to keep that bar up. I was blocking her view of it, and when I swung out of the way and she realized she was supposed to jump, and took off the minute she saw it, right from the ...base of the jump, doing her best to hike her body over it, but instead hitting the bar with her chest....why would she try so hard for a game she doesn't really care about? What does she care about pvc bars staying in their places? She gets her treats if she does well or not, right? Back before I understood how to keep Fancy moving fast in agility, I used to tell her she was wrong for knocking bars. She did her best to keep that bar up because I wanted her to and while she might not care about agility, she cares about doing what I want.

And Pie, who gets out there and has so much fun in each run...who isn't the fastest Malinois by a lot but who has a great time...she doesn't think- "You know, I wish I was a little faster. Wouldn't that be super?" She runs, then grabs her leash and thrashes it around, wishing she could have another go. The bond between dog and human and the joy of running is what is agility is about and both Fancy and Pie demonstrated that this weekend. No finals for us this year, and most likely not for 5 more years while the competition is in FL, but I was really reminded this weekend why I do agility, and while I treasure my dogs every day of my life, this weekend was a concrete example of how much that treasure is worth to me.

All the agility photos are from our last run.



Fancy was so fast she was just a blur. Or maybe the camera was on the wrong setting.


Good weaves.


Starting off strong.


A frame to tunnel.


I get ahead and am already directing the next jump before Pie took the previous one. Let's be nice to me and say since Pie is committed to the double, I no longer need to support (or direct?) it...it is pretty amazing my dogs ever run a course clean, with a handler like me.



I think Pie is smiling.





I love all the random people taking our picture. We are famous!


Weaves... almost done.



This is a pretty fancy move for me. I left Pie in the weaves, and ran around the outside of this jump, so by the time she took it, I was already moving in the direction we were turning. I didn't see anyone else attempt it. I did it because we had nothing to loose, and it actually worked well. Also notice more random picture taking by strangers.


At Meet the Breed. Is anyone surprised Dottie and Pie both kept falling off the haybale?

Despite not making the finals, the 2010 Invitational was a great time for us. I wish it wasn't going to Florida next year. I've been invited and attended for the past five years, and missing it next year will be sad.

No comments: