Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Actual Conversation With A Co-Worker...

I posted this to the Belgian list, but it really did happen today so I wanted to share it with non-Belgian people also.





















The Crime


One of my non-dog owning co-workers asked me, "What are you going to do with your dogs when you go away for 2 months?" Then, because he enjoys pestering me, he volunteered, "I’ll watch them."

I knew he wasn't serious but played along, because if I don't he'll sulk and continue to bother me anyway. "I don’t know that you would survive watching my dogs," I told him tartly.

(I have a four year old Malinois, a year and a half Malinois and a Tibetan Terrier who doesn't like you until she knows you. Not horribly difficult, but they do seem to baffle and exasperate non-dog people. But back to the story at hand...)

He was indignant at the thought that I believed watching my dogs was something that would be difficult for him. This co-worker thinks very highly of himself. "How hard can watching a couple of dogs be?" I saw him wondering.

"What are you talking about?" he challenged me. "I’ll just lock her in my room."

"She’s chewed through a wall once already," I countered.

"So I’ll put her in a cage," he responded with a smug smile, thinking
how cleaver he was to solve THAT problem.

I looked at him, so naive in his ignorance, and stated blandly, "She was IN a cage when she chewed through the wall."

"Oh."

And he shuffled off to his office, shoulders slumped, head down- defeated at last by the unlikeliness of adversaries: 40 pounds of cuteness in a package of short brown fur, just now tipping in black, with bright dark brown eyes shining from a black mask in a pointy fox face, whiskers quivering with impish excitement- and the desire to put something- anything!- in her mouth; Dottie in all her destructive glory.

------------------------

I’m not one to brag about how horrible my dog is in a “Marley and Me” type of way, but Dottie’s bit of naughtiness as a younger puppy was worth it to silence my co-worker who has an answer to everything. And actually, she didn’t quite make it all the way through the wall in question because it was a wall to the outside. She made it through the drywall but was brought up short by the back of the stucco, and the fact that her muzzle could only fit so far through the bars of the crate. How she got as far as she did is still a mystery because the crate wasn’t even touching the wall. Darn pointy Belgian muzzles!

The Perpetrator and Defeater of Annoying Co-Workers

No comments: