Monday, October 19, 2009

The LA Zoo

After the agility mishap, I wasn't sure I'd be able to accompany Laura and Dad (that's my Dad, not Laura's Dad) to the Zoo on Columbus day as planned. But Dad felt like I should go and help him out and while I thought he'd be fine without me, I was able to walk ok, so to the zoo I went.

We saw lots of good animals, but I did not take pictures of them all. In fact, I only took pictures of the first mammal we saw, a strange antelope/ gazelle thingy.






Here is Laura posing with them. What ever they are. She has a stuffed gorilla she got for free because Nana is a Zoo member. We turned in a coupon at the ticket counter, and the worker showed the gorilla through the tiny slot where you put your money and get your ticket. It was pretty silly. She named the gorilla Foura, like four with an A and like Laura with an F.




Here is a baby gazelle thingy. It was hiding in the corner under this branch. Very cute.



Laura's Mommy called while we were there and Laura spoke to her. At one point the reception must have been poor, because she took the phone away from her ear and held it in front of her and shouted, "Mommy, I can't hear you!"



Besides seeing animals, there was also a play ground. Laura conversed with Granddad. Who knows what they were discussing?




Maybe they were talking about how he was going to help her on the monkey bars. Appropriate choice for the zoo. The little girl behind them caught up and thought about mowing Laura down, but then thought better of it and waited for her to finish.

Next up was posing with a seal.




Sliding off the seal.

I think this is one of the few pictures I have with my Godchild the whole time she was here. So I will post two.





I have pictures of Laura at the Zoo when she was here earlier in her life. I recall her being somewhat bald, so she must have been pretty young. This time it was a few days after her 5th birthday.

I promised Laura we would come back to the petting portion of the zoo, because when she wanted to go we had just finished eating and still had drinks and there were no drinks allowed. We saved the petting for last since it was on the way back, and when we arrived, they were closed! I broke a promise to a child. How horrible. I think she was a little less disappointed because the goats were about to be fed and were frisky and ramming each other, so she might have been secretly pleased we couldn't go in so she didn't get rammed also.

My knee held up ok, even though I did take the handicap ramps when it was available instead of the stairs. Laura is oh so cute. I can't wait for her to come back and visit again!

No comments: