Monday, October 19, 2009

Dies The Fire

I came home from work last Tuesday (I am behind on blogging) to find yellow tape across my driveway. The tape said "Fire Line Do Not Cross." And there was a red tag with "Transformer Fire" printed on it. Hmm... I called Edison who had no record of anything going on with my property. They assured me it was safe to go inside. This was the first day of the first rain of the season, and I had just been to the store.

The power was off, so I called Edison back and this time listened to the recording which said they were aware of the problem and my power should be restored at 7 am Wednesday morning. Great. This was especially timely since I just borrowed a book from my Dad called "Dies the Fire" which is about what happens when electricity mysteriously stops working and other modern things such as gunpowder and dynamite also do not work. Interesting concept and good story so far (luckily one of the main characters is an ex-Marine with many useful skills and a lot of people wandering around not only have bows, but also have the knowledge to make new ones. Heck, even I have a bow, but the draw is really too heavy for me and if I'm not careful it dislocates my shoulder and I doubt I could hit a moving target...Good thing I'm not a character in the book. Maybe I could contribute by training dogs for protection purposes. But you need the right type and temperment of dog for that. At least I can ride horses. But so can the ex-Marine. He's probably a dog training too.) But, even though it was timely due to the book, it was untimely because of the food I had just bought and because it was raining so I didn't want to go out and buy ice for the freezer.

I played with the dogs while it was still light, and took a walk when the rain let up. When it got dark I lighted the candles and read by those. Eventually I went into town (in the rain) and bought dry ice and regular ice for the freezer. Around 9:30 a large truck with big lights showed up and worked on a pole near us. Then around four in the morning I woke up with the radio on. I got up and the clocks showed one, so the power had been on since around three. So they were ahead of schedule. I never did find out why it said Transformer Fire and Edison told me if they had left the warning, they would have left a tag with more information. Also, all (or at least, the ones I could see) of our neighbors had power the entire time. Humph. The dry ice was expensive. I could have done with out this little episode. Just goes to show how much I take for granted...

No comments: