Saturday, October 11, 2014

Number 5

Number One was the 2014 Honda CBF 500.  I believe faithful readers already know I sold it because I kept "dropping it" (aka tipping over while riding).  Not only was I terribly inexperienced, but it was also too tall for me.
Number 1.


















Number Two was a really old street legal dirt bike I bought to learn to be a better rider and it didn't matter if I messed it up because it was messed up already.  But even though it ran fine on the test ride when I got it home I couldn't keep it running longer than a 2 house drive so I sold it.
Number 2.



















Number 3 was a 2000 Suzuki GZ 250 that I bought after taking the Motorcycle Basic Rider Class. This was the same bike I rode in the class and I knew if I could get more time on it I could be a competent rider.
Number 3.























Number 4 was the beautiful blue 2003 Harley Davidson 883 Hugger 100th Anniversary Model.  A superb bike in every way.  It was heavily customized but I got it for an amazing price.  Sadly, due to a long and complicated story, I was unable to get it registered.  I contacted the seller and she took the bike back and gave me my money back.
Number 4.



















Which brings me to Number 5.

Number 5 and Final!



















Fancy looks good.

Before any customization.











































After giving back number 4 I looked around for bikes that I liked and had low mileage  It had to be a Harley.  You know what they say....

When I couldn't find anything promising, I decided to buy a new one since I really wanted Anti-lock brakes.  It's funny, when you tell some guys, I wanted ABS on my bike, they ask you "what's that?"  The old timers don't know you can buy a bike with ABS.  I also opted for the security option which is a fob that turns the bike on when it gets close and flashes the lights (no alarm though) if you move the bike (like push it off) without the fob.

I was hoping to get a good deal since the 2015 were coming out, but what happened was there was almost no deal!  The ABS with security option was very popular and almost sold out!  Ventura Harley got my bike from a different dealer and it was only 1 of 2 left in the state!

I've already customized several things on the bike, but that will be a separate post.

The new bike is a 2014 HD Sportster XL Superlow 1200T.  The T is for "touring."  Since it comes with saddlebags (which I love, no more backpack!) and a windshield which I can't live without.  Other than that, it really isn't a touring bike.

Other features I love are the trip meter and the clock.  I'm also happy it is fuel injected so it has a low fuel light and no choke to worry about.  Everyone wants to know, "Is it more powerful than the other bike?"  On paper, yes.  It has a bigger engine.  When I first started riding it, it felt slower, but I think that was because I hadn't figured out how to shift it yet.  When I get it just right, it feels like you are sitting on one of those Wiley E Coyote TNT rockets and you just set it off.  VAROOM!  When I am shifting in traffic I am especially careful to let the clutch out slowly and apply the gas gently.  I don't want to rocket myself into a slower car in front of me.

Eventually I'd like to have someone take some pictures of me riding it, but here is what I looked like the other day leaving work.  Before I started riding I took a "selfie."  I wear the face mask if it is chilly out.  Works pretty well.


5 bikes in 6 months...please don't institutionalize me, I'm not crazy, it just took me a few tries to find the right one.


1 comment:

Blogger said...

QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

Professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone daily.

Start following our signals today & make up to 270% a day.