Thursday, August 18, 2011

How NOT To Train Tracking

If you had been with me tonight you would have been auditing a great seminar. I demonstrated just about every mistake you can make while training, including some that most people never make. One being allowing your knee to pop out and you end up in a heap in the dirt. That happened while I was trying to beat the setting sun and was jogging (carefully!) back to my car to get a dog. Seriously? I got injured while tracking??

I also lost my track, allowed my dog to track over an article without realizing it, corrected my dog for trying to go the right way, then allowed her to go the wrong way (more like forced her since I wouldn't let her go any other way), as well as missed a turn and continued blissfully along thinking we were going the right way. These things were not my dog's fault, they were mine, and by making them it really messes up our training. I get so frustrated with my inability to be a good tracking trainer. Why is it so hard for me? And why did I twice think I was following my footsteps only to learn they were not my footsteps at all? I think there might be something to the idea of buying a dog already trained to the SchH III then just trialing it. Let someone else who knows what they are doing train the dog. Because I sure don't. My ultimate goal is to get the Champion Tracker from AKC on all 3 dogs, but right I'm so far from that goal I lapped myself going backwards.

No comments: