Friday, February 20, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away


I uploaded a few videos from my last two agility trials to my You Tube account. http://www.youtube.com/user/ResQQ The most exciting ones are the videos from Feb 16th. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suyu4MLvIII&feature=channel_page It was President's Day so I got to skip work and play agility instead. The adage is true- a bad day of agility always trumps a good day at the office. Even though it was pouring rain, it really wasn't a bad day of agility. Even though my boots were NOT waterproof and I had soaking cold feet, it wasn't a bad day. Pie qualified in one run, we hung out with our friends, the rest of me stayed dry thanks to my Air Force issued gortex pants and my dad issued Volvo jacket, and I even got to witness minor feats of engineering.



The ground is river sand and when it gets wet, it does not turn to mud. If anything, it is easier to run on the wet sand because sometimes the dry sand can be a bit loose. The only drawback is when the ground gets too saturated, the agility area starts to turn into the river again. There were some rather large puddles, but it turns out that not only is Andres,the facility manager at the agility venue we were showing at, a great moving helper (he helped me move into my new house) and a good agility equipment builder (he refurbished Kate's a frame) he is also a civil engineer. He used a hoe (I think he has more experience with a hoe than I do, see my post about the bent hoe) to dig canals out of the puddle. One was so extensive it looked like the Maginot Line. The rain water drained out of the puddle and down the Maginot Line and out of the agility area. So I guess Andres' Maginot Line turned out to be more useful than the original. At least his accomplished its purpose.



Another of the canals reminded me of the Canal Turn in the Grand National, even more so since it was The Pie running the course. Unlike so many hapless steeds in the movie, we took after our namesake and did not fall in the Canal Turn. I did almost slip while Pie was doing the weaves, but that isn't applicable to the movie since there are no "weaves" in a steeplechase horse race.


We have not had Tuesday agility class for two weeks due to the rain. It is always bad news to trial more than you train, so we will see how Pie does at our agility trial this weekend. We are only showing one day. What will I do to keep myself entertained on Sunday??

1 comment:

No One said...

I am so tired of the rain. First it rained on me two weeks ago riding home from school. Then it rained on us at our drill and we slept in puddles of mud. Then this week it rained on me riding to school. I want it to go away!

Glad you were able to look on the positive though and enjoy the day with your dogs.