Thursday, February 12, 2009

Anybody Want to Adopt a Malinois?

Boscoe is a foster Mal who is looking for a home. He was originally adopted out about a year ago but his owner is no longer in a position to have a dog and Boscoe went to live with his parents. However, the parents don't want a dog and can't have one either. They did the right thing by contacting rescue and bringing him back. They brought him to me, which was nice, and also left me with toys, a crate, and some money for food.



Boscoe was in my area, so I agreed to foster him. I have a bad track record with fosters. Pie was my first foster, and I kept her. My second foster, a young TT, was only staying with me a few days before going to his new home, or else I probably would have been tempted to keep him too. Let me make a confession... if you hand me the leash to a dog and that dog is sweet and has at least a tiny bit of personality, I will start to get attached...Boscoe needs to find a home quick, because...well, just because. He is neutered and around 2.5 years old. Boscoe's previous owner did some work with him and he sits on command and can even hold it a little bit with some reminding. He knows down if you help him. He responds to his name and comes when I say his name, if nothing else is going on. It is unknown if he is housebroken because the parents did not let him loose in the house. He is crate trained.



He is a moaner and a groaner but not a whiner. He is fascinated by the noises the computer makes and by the images on the computer screen. He kept trying to poke back behind the computer screen to see if the moving images might come out back there. He is very sweet with people. He is neutral towards Fancy, thinks Bloom is weird (who doesn't) and has had some words with Pie. I told him it was not acceptable to have words with Pie and he gave me "sorry" body language. I think many dogs do not like Pie because she just comes on way too strong, even if she is not jumping on them, they sense her strong personality and want her to back off before she molests them. He can be in the same area with Pie and not go after her, it is just when she comes up to him, twice he has growled at her, with a show of teeth once. I do not think it is a big deal at this time. Just trying to feel his away around these unknown dogs. He is neutral towards Fancy because she is neutral to him.


Boscoe is very thin. He was not neglected, he just is a "hard keeper." I will have him checked out by the vet for worms or any other problems, and I will also use pumpkin and full fat cottage cheese to fatten him up. He eats plenty. He is so spastic about his food I'm surprised he hasn't bloated already. I'll also take steps to slow his eating down. He is a really nice Malinois, who I think will make someone a really nice pet. So if you know of anyone looking, pass the word along!



Some of the pictures got a bit distorted. Boscoe is pretty, but not as pretty as Pie. He is also a bit of a different type than Pie. I think maybe he is more conformation lines. You can tell because he as a small stop and seems heavier boned than Pie. Although some working lines have lots of bone as well. It's hard to say, but because his type is different than Pie's I am going with conformation lines...










Fancy got a home done hair cut... can you tell?


















One last picture of Boscoe staring at his new love on the computer screen. You can see the exciting video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOd65uPM7ZQ&feature=channel_page



In other news... the grass is still growing... dogs are still not allowed in the back yard which means Boscoe gets pottied on a leash.I put lattice up in the front so when I take Pie and Fancy out, they have a safety barrier between them and the street where cars zoom up and down. I believe I can keep them out of the street without it, but why take that chance? This will keep them safe.


And just so poor Bloom does not feel left out, here he is wearing his sweater.

Although he still shivers with it on and the heat turned up, so then this is what happens to him...


He is wearing his sweater, and is wrapped in two big towels, and my afghan which is supposed to be for keeping me warm, but I recognize when an old dog needs it more than I do.

2 comments:

No One said...

I would be willing to take him off your hands except that a) I don't think the parents would let me and b) I think there would be some name confussion with one of our other dogs.

Claire said...

He is awfully cute! I love his fascination with the computer. He does look pretty skinny, but that's kind of how Moxie is too-she looks so lean from above.

Poor Bloom being so cold. I feel his pain. I am wrapped up in an afghan right now.