Friday, May 28, 2010

Dog Pack

Some of you may think three dogs is a lot. I now have 7 dogs at my house. To my family who are reading this- fear not: the extras will leave in a few days. Ffluffy is on a vacation and I am watching her dogs. She will be watching my dogs when I go on vacation, so we both benefit. Everyone, minus the corgi, just had a fun time running in the yard and playing chase me, bitey face, slime-the-neck, and various other unnammed games. I hope to get some pictures tomorrow because the fun was very fun to watch and I want to share it with everyone.

The corgi doesn't get to play because he can be grumpy. Hey, he's a corgi. That's all the excuse you need. Also Fancy did not play, not because she is grumpy (which she can be) but because she is sick. Poor Fancy. Vomit, diarrhea and no appetite. Luckily no temperature and she is drinking water, but no appetite is always a bad sign.

I offered her some chicken broth but she didn't want that either (it smelt very good to me!) We'll wait a few days and see what happens then off to the vet we will go. My vet loves me. I think she probably has a house of the beach due to the business I bring her.

I took the day off work today for a dog show - agility- in Pomona. Pie got a double Q which is her first one in quite some time. She also took second place in a class of 30- or maybe it was 40- dogs. This is good news because we got some very much needed points for the Agility Invitational. We are in 4th place with the 5th place dog over 100 points behind us and the 6th place dog only a few points behind that. 5 dogs are invited so we are good so far, but need to get our act together. Pie didn't get a single point previously in May and the points are only added up through May 5th, so it is very possible the other dogs have already passed us and we don't know it. The qualifying period ends 30 June and we will be entered 3 of the 4 weekends in June. I hope our quality of runs continues to improve. Now that she is on her thyroid meds and off the Ivermectin, she is feeling better.

On a sad note, it has now been one year, this weekend, that Bloom died as the result of an accident related to his old age. He was 15 and I had him for 5 years. My first dog (other than childhood pets,) and my Novice A dog in obedience and agility. Ever since reading The Soul of the Silver Dog I knew I wanted to do agility and since reading the Susan Conant books I knew I wanted to do obedience and Bloom let me do it all. Maybe a 10 year old dog who was quickly going deaf wasn't the most logical choice, but he was a very good sport about it. Bloom was more than a competition dog (some would probably say he wasn't really a competition dog at all.) He introduced me to many of my current good friends, he kept me company, he went on Miata Runs when I was in the Miata Club and he posed for lots of pictures. And he as a great cuddler.

Old dogs make great pets. I love old dogs. The only bad part about an old dog is it means they are getting closer to not being in your life any more.

No comments: