Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Big Bear 2011

Yes, I am in Big Bear again! I love it here and want to come as much as possible. After coming home from Flagstaff, I worked Thursday and Friday, went to the agility trial on the weekend, then departed for Big Bear with fflufy and the dogs on Monday.

Monday we arrived, checked into our cabin (the same one as last year) then walked to the Village for dinner, came home, watched a movie and went to bed.

Today, Tuesday, we got up and went to the lake, went on a great hike, walked to dinner, had ice cream, came home and watched a different movie. Soon I will be in bed...

The lake pictures:

On the way to the lake!

Pie, as always enjoying the swim.

Dottie, as always, annoying Fancy.

Fancy swam out to ffluffy then abandoned her. ffluffy was sad.

Bun is not overly impressed with the water and stood on the shore with her tiny ball instead of partaking in the aquatic activities.

Next up was the hike. We bought a map at an outdoor store and off we went!

The hike was 7.35 miles (my GPS watch tells all) up to Grey's Peak, one of the 7 highest peaks around the Big Bear area. We could see the fire tower on Butler's Peak on some sections of the trial, and once at the top, we had a great view of the lake and we could also see the airport.

We had walked for about 2 minutes when we had our first picture break.

The Mals pose on the rock.

Do I look like this guy?

We hiked mostly on leash and Fancy got a bit squished. The Mals pull quite a bit which is great going up hills but not so great going down.

Fancy blends into the rock she is posing on.

View from the top, actually zoomed in a bit.

We posed on these neat rocks at the top of the peak. After the posing was done I released the dogs, which Pie took to mean, "Jump from right where you are." It was way too big of a jump, and her landing spot was another rock. She landed badly and hard. Luckily she does not appear to be injured. We will see how she feels tomorrow. For the future I will not give the release word and will instead direct the dogs how to get down.

I also had a bit of a misfortune, but since I am now blogging about it, rest assured it turned out ok.

Love the timer on my camera! But the only rock to balance the camera on was pretty far away so the first picture didn't come out the best.

This time we were better prepared and it would be a super picture, had I not had some kind of shirt malfunction. I tossed a pine cone at the exact correct time for the dogs to look in the right direction.

Hiking back down with the papillon in the bag.

More posing.

Demonstrating I can carry Fancy if I need to. She would prefer to walk. I think Dottie would be too squirmy since the dog has to be pretty still as I am lifting them up there. If Pie was up on a rock or some other high place I could support her weight on my shoulders, but I'm not sure I can lift 60 lbs above my head.

On the way back it was later in the day so we didn't expect to see any other hikers. The dogs got a bit of off leash time. Here is Dottie enjoying her freedom.

After 7.35 miles Dottie helped herself to the couch.

Not only did the GPS watch tell us how far we went, but it also told us how to get back to the trail head. Yes, it is true- we got a tiny bit lost. Not lost lost, just, "which way was it again?" lost. We thought it was one way, but that didn't look right. Then ffluffy thought it was another way, but I didn't remember the sign we passed. So I used the "back to start" feature on my watch, and we could see the new trail we were (incorrectly) blazing, instead of the established trail (meaning the one the watch mapped on the way in.) Once we picked the correct way back, the trail we were blazing matched up with the trail already on the watch and we knew we were headed the correct way. Hooray! We would have found it soon enough on our own, but it was neat to have the watch tell us how to pick the correct way sooner. The dogs were completely useless for getting us home. They seemed to pick random trails and dash down them, most likely hoping to lure us on an even longer hike.

Here are the rest of the pictures, taken so far.

Now it is late and I'd better get in bed so I can get up early and do more stuff tomorrow.

No comments: