Monday, September 6, 2010

Agility Show Report

We were at an agility trial at City of Industry under the big covered arena this weekend, Saturday and Sunday only. Nice to be out of the sun. Saturday was very hot, and somewhat humid - which is very unusual for So Cal. The thermometer showed over one hundred degrees when I showed up at my parents house around 5 that evening.

Pie and Fancy were both entered. The big news is Pie took first place in a class of 33 dogs in Standard! And the really cool part is she had the fastest time out of all the dogs, including the ones that NQed. I think the position-less table helped out time. Sometimes she wastes time settling into a down or sit. Now the judge starts counting as soon as the dog is on the table. Pie was very excited to be running since she has had about a month off from trialing and I'm not running her in class anymore. For those that don't know, Pie has spondylosis (sp?), diagnosed when I had her hips x-rayed. The less jumping she does, the better it is for her back. She will be moved down to preferred much sooner than I would normally do. I can tell the less jumping this month has agreed with her, because her weaves were nice and fast. She used to always zip through the poles, but recently has slowed down. Her back must be sore. Poor Pie- she loves agility so much, but some day I won't run her any more, because that will be best for her over all health. But for now, we will enjoy it while we can! And it isn't all bad- when she is retired from regular and preferred, we will find some NADAC trials and let her do hoopers and tunnlers, just so she gets to still have fun!

Also on Saturday Pie got fourth in jumpers for her 13th QQ towards Mach 2!

Fancy got a QQ towards Mach 4. She actually has 25 QQs for Mach 4 and just needs points. She is so consistent she almost always QQs. She has been running nice and fast, but if you QQ every time you go out, it is inevitable you get your QQs before your points. She has 700 points so she might her her Mach 4 at her next show!

Dottie worked some attention and obedience on Saturday. I took her up in the huge metal bleachers and she wasn't thrilled. She was not overly upset, just not her normal crazy self. Her tail was still wagging, but I could tell she was not 100% comfortable.

After the show I went to my parent's house for a Labor Day BBQ my mom held for the teachers at her school. She brought out her laptop and showed off the videos I did of the dogs- Hero Dogs and Conserving Energy. Is that like showing pictures of your kids? In this case it was the granddogs that were getting showed off.

On Sunday the weather was cooler. In standard Pie tried to take the a frame a second time, which I did not expect, and I lost concentration and was unable to help her do the correct obstacle. In jumpers I ran all out since we had already lost the QQ and she skipped a jump and knocked a bar (or 2.) That is important for me to know since the Invitational is coming up. Usually in jumpers I try to take it a bit easy and not push her because of bars. Now I know that is a good strategy. To make the finals in the Invitational, you need four clean rounds. We'll take it easy, then go all out in the finals, if we are lucky enough to make it. Thinking positive right?

Fancy surprisingly did not Q in standard either. She felt pressure from a cross I was about to do and headed for the wrong side of the tunnel. I did not call her off since she thought she was doing the right thing and it was my mistimed cue that was messing her up. Telling her she is wrong when she thinks she is right is a good way to make her run slower. I was proud of myself that I was able to consciously make that decision as it was happening. Good job, M.

In jumpers Fancy was good. Typical.

Dottie came out again and we went up in the bleachers with some cookies and I helped her see she can turn around and go up and down. She was more comfortable at the end. I am still having trouble with heel position with Dottie. She thinks it is about 2 feet in front of me.

We did not enter the show today. My bank account thanks me, even if the dogs think it is boring. I'm off to see a movie with a friend- not sure which movie yet. I'll practice some agility (jump grids) with the Dot later today. I'm trying to buy some 24 inch weave poles for her to learn on.

No comments: