Saturday, July 17, 2010

First Day in Big Bear

As we were driving up the mountain, my battery light came on. Twice before the car has had to be jumped, so in order to be prepared, I had bought a battery before we left, but did not have time to get it installed. I was worried we would be parked on a lonely mountain road and have the car die after a hike and be stranded. I did not expect the battery to die while driving. Our luck held and we made it to our cabin and unloaded our overloaded car. It is possible this time the car was packed even more than it was for AKC Nationals.



The first thing we did the next morning was to go running. Considering there were hills and we are at 9000ft, I think we did great. Next we had some yummy breakfast (ffluffy cooked- thanks!) and finally we- I did help, a little- got to work on replacing the battery. ffluffy has experience in these matters, but the battery in my 2006 Buick Rendezvous is in a difficult to reach place.


ffluffy loosens one of the many things that had to be loosened. A large bracing bar, the fuse box, some wiring and an electronic looking connection all had to be moved before the battery could come out.



The borrowed tools. Luckily we did not need the mallet.



Hard at work.


My dirty hands proved I helped. I moved the wires and the electric looking thing and helped lift the battery out (impressive, I know.)


Like any good supervisor, Pie watches from the shade.

I am very pleased to report the change out was a success and we did it in under an hour, unlike the poor sap who we read about on line who took 3 hours!

Next we headed into town with a selection of dogs. We met up with Mom and her two dogs. I brought 3 dogs and ffluffy brought 2. We got many comments about the number and cuteness of our dogs. Here we are having a watering break. Big Bear is very dog friendly.





On a down stay while we are shopping. Most of the dogs could be trusted to hold this even if we went inside but since little Dottie was there they had to be supervised.

It got quite hot durring the day. After we walked home we had a well deserved nap. Next it was onto the lake.


Pie gets the ball the most since she is the fastest. Dottie just annoys Fancy.


Molly takes to the water and hears some ominous "Jaws" music.


Dottie looks bored but was not.




Mom found a good place to sit.


Fancy is so happy to finally get the ball.



ffluffy and Hunda and Pickle.


Pie was on a down stay so Fancy could have a chance.










These cannoeers were quite taken with out dogs and paddled cloeser to take pictures. To me it was like they felt our dogs were wild life that they wanted to get up close with.

Now off to dinner and then next up, day 2!

No comments: